Seller refuses to send items because payment is pending

walrus1
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

So I won an item on ebay and quickily paid for the item with my debit card. A couple hours later I recived an email saying my item shipped.

Today the seller sent me an email saying she won't ship my item beacuse my payment is pending in her PayPal account. I looked and the funds have cleaqred both my bank account and PayPal account. She says she wont ship 10 items without the funds having cleared her account. Which means there are nine other people waiting for her ship their items. She said she doensnt really understand how paypal works and asked me for advice. I don't have any experince selling things on ebay. I told her to call the 1-800 number first thing tommorow. 

But the more i think about this the more nervous I get. I have never had a seller refuse to ship an item I paid for. I've never had PayPal not process a payment promptly. I understand she doesn't want to ship with out the funds clearing. But at the same time I don't want to be left hoilding the bag.

Shat should I do?

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

Orangedrops
Contributor
Contributor

The Seller is telling the truth about not shipping on a pending payment. Paypal notifys the Seller when a payment is pending and tells Seller not to ship yet. Once payment has cleared then PayPal sends a "ok" to ship notice. If payment was a debit card there often is a waiting period of 3-4 business days.

Login to Me Too

walrus1
Contributor
Contributor

But my payment has cleared both my bank account and Paypal.

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The seller probably means her funds are being held under the ebay/paypal 21 day policy. 

The seller has been paid, but is refusing to send the items till paypal/ebay releases the funds.

The seller is told they have been paid and that they can ship.

The seller can get the funds released a lot sooner that 21 days, by using online viewable D/C. 

Paypal will release the funds usually within 72 hours of the D/C showing the delivery.

Login to Me Too

walrus1
Contributor
Contributor

First off thanks for your reply!

So she was told to ship and just decided not to ship 10 orders?! I havent heard anything else from the seller. I'm really getting more and more nervous about this. If worst comes to worst and I need to file a claim how would I do it? How long does the process take? Would there be any repercuisons for my eBay and PayPal accounts?

Login to Me Too

Orangedrops
Contributor
Contributor

Your purchase is protected by Ebay and Paypal.....so I would not worry about that. There would not be any repercussions against you. You need to read the listing and see what the Sellers shipping policy is and what the date of expected delivery is. Ebay will not allow you to open a case until the date that you should have received it has passed, Then on your My Ebay page next to the item you purchased you will be able to click on the link to resolve a problem. And if the seller doesn't have a delivery confirmation of your package....they are sunk and you would be given your money back. It will be alittle bit of foot work and inconvenience. But rest assured if your item isn't shipped you will get your money back. Read Ebay's Buyers Protection policy for precise details and PayPal has similiar policy. However, because it is a Ebay purchase you will be requested to resolve the issue through Ebay first. Just alittle bit of advice....always review a Sellers feedback to see if they have a history of unhappy buyers and be sure you understand the Sellers shipping policy. For me....once a buyers payment hits my account their item is shipped within 24hrs unless it is a non business day.

Login to Me Too

walrus1
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, thanks for the reply!

So according to the listing her handling time is up to 5 bussines days. However why did she mark my item has shipped when my payment was processed? Actual delivery time is within 7-8 bussines days, which means it should arrive by 1-11 or 1-12. Its looking like I'm going to have to file a claim. I'm glad to hear the claims process is relatively painless.

She is a brand new seller with no feedback sp there was nothing to review but I always do this. At first I thought buying this from her might be a bad idea but the item was cheap. I've bought from brand new sellers on Amazon before and sometimes their even better the established sellers. 

Login to Me Too

Orangedrops
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to hear this. I honestly can't say what the Seller's motivation is. I don't know if they are confused about the selling process or just dishonest. In the mean time I would send them a message and request the tracking info of the package. Hopefully they respond......if they don't at least it is building a stronger case for you. Because Ebay keeps record of all communication and they will be able to see that you attempted communication but the Seller did not. There still could be hope that they have shipped the package. I personally upload the tracking info and it is visible to the buyer and a email of shipment is also sent to the Buyer. Ebay has all these tools available but if the Seller does not understand them that is a issue. I can honestly tell you that Ebay holds Sellers to very high standards and if you see a Seller who has the Top Rated icon that came with hard work and honesty. It would be easier to work for McDonalds than to sell on Ebay if that gives you any idea of how high their expectations are. Good Luck!!!

Login to Me Too

walrus1
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I'm glad eBay holds sellers to a high standard! I still cant get the seller to communicate with me. I'm going to email the seller one more time on monday and let her know if I dont receive the pacakge by next Thursday I'll file a claim. Now the question becomes should I file a claim via PayPal or Ebay? My gut recation is to do it via Ebay. Since the seller as not communicated with me after telling me she won't ship my item is there anyway I could call eBay or PayPal and get customer service to get the ball rolling faster? 

Login to Me Too

Bowitch
Contributor
Contributor
Don't blame the seller to harshly,I have seen that paypal is not releasing the mailing fees they use to for a seller to mail your purchase.She may be a new seller who was hit with this, & not enough money out of pocket to mail 10 items & still wait 21 days for all monies to clear (plus another 3-5 days to her account ) I suggest you call paypal & have them explain to you, probably will get your item which you want & she wants to send to you a lot quicker,good luck !!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.