QUESTION ABOUT SHIPPING FIRST CLASS and MEDIA MAIL MODERATOR PLEASE RESPOND

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

In order to confirm to Paypal an item has been shipped, the tracking number is required. Tracking is not available on First Class or Media Mail. We cannot print labels for these from Paypal. Yet, we are urged by eBay (and graded on our shipping costs)to offer lower shipping, and these are lower when we have an item less than 13 ounces, which many of us do, and I am one of them.

I do not want to charge the buyer for Priority because they will go elsewhere. I do not want to charge Priority or Parcel Post for a book because they will go elsewhere. However, if I use First Class or Media Mail, there will be no proof to Paypal, thus my funds will be held, and at this time I do not have a hold.

Without a doubt, I do not want to take the chance of using First Class or Media only to have a hold on my funds. What do we do in this situation to prevent the hold from going on and being held until the buyer has left feedback since there will be no proof of delivery? I looked yesterday at a seller I know, and she is just now getting feedback from sales from June. This is going to be a situation I am sure none of us want to get into, yet we have these small items to sell, so what do we do?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

cybergrannie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I ship First Class and Media Mail through eBay shipping and I do get DC so I know when it is delivered.

The only problem is that DC number does not go automatically to PayPal right now so you have to copy the DC number and go to PayPal and mark that item as shipped and enter the DC number.

This is a problem but at least you do have a number on record.

PayPal tells me they are working on the problem of transferring the DC number to them but I do not know if this will ever be corrected. Right now that is what I do and it has worked for me.

Good luck

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@cybergrannie wrote:

Hi - I ship First Class and Media Mail through eBay shipping and I do get DC so I know when it is delivered.

The only problem is that DC number does not go automatically to PayPal right now so you have to copy the DC number and go to PayPal and mark that item as shipped and enter the DC number.

This is a problem but at least you do have a number on record.

PayPal tells me they are working on the problem of transferring the DC number to them but I do not know if this will ever be corrected. Right now that is what I do and it has worked for me.

Good luck

Thank you. I just read online there is no way to track first class mail. But, if this works for you, guess it will work for all.

So, you have to take your first class packages to the post office and then pay the .50 for the delivery confirmation? I used to do this when I first started on every package.  I have paid for delivery confirmations way back when I first started on eBay and then didn't print the parcel post or priority labels online. I never received any confirmation of delivery, so I stopped paying for them. That was a long time ago though. How do you receive the confirmation ??? by email, by mail, just how?

But, as of now, there is no number the post office can give when the first class or media mail is actually mailed even though you are paying for a delivery confirmation?

There is also not a way I have seen to print first class or media mail online. Am I missing something.  This has nothing to do with the topic, but lately I have also run into labels where paying online was not available, just regular parcel post or priority, normal size packages. Have you run into this??

Also, when you have the delivery confirmation number, you go into Paypal and put it in on the transaction?

After 8 years I should know these things, but I have just started with the first class and media mail items, so I have never had a reason to check this out.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

First Class Mail letters cannot be tracked... First Class Mail packages and Media Mail can be tracked when USPS Delivery Confirmation is purchased.

PayPal and eBay shipping prints First Class Mail package and Media Mail postage... it automatically includes Delivery Confirmation (tracking) for an extra 19 cents.

Delivery Confirmation information for each DC number is available on the USPS website.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@sandypurins wrote:

First Class Mail letters cannot be tracked... First Class Mail packages and Media Mail can be tracked when USPS Delivery Confirmation is purchased.

PayPal and eBay shipping prints First Class Mail package and Media Mail postage... it automatically includes Delivery Confirmation (tracking) for an extra 19 cents.

Delivery Confirmation information for each DC number is available on the USPS website.

-Sandy

Thank you, Sandy.

So no big envelopes even though they don't have a flat item in them?? I didn't know it was possible to find a box of any size, other than for Jewelry, things like that, that would not weigh over 13 oz. just by itself. I'm not sure that I like having to "start over" trying to find boxes for these thing.

I will have to go back in and look. I have yet to ship anything first class or media mail. I thought it would show up in the options for shipping if it were available. I know a lot about other shipping, but this is like I am a brand new seller.

Thanks for the info on it tracking the boxes. Also, a newbie kind of question, but are there boxes available for just one standard size hard back book? I have a number of them to sell now. I have seen the VHS size boxes, but they are Priority, thought they would work in size, but again Priority. I haven't listed any of these items yet since the first class and media are new to me.

I do appreciate your information and time, yours and grannie's 🙂

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

The USPS provides envelopes and boxes for Priority Mail... they do not provide envelopes or boxes for First Class Mail or Media Mail... you will need to find your own envelopes and boxes for First Class Mail and Media Mail.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

First Class Mail envelopes which have certain properties will qualify as First Class Mail packages.  Check the USPS website for the qualifications...

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#1011092

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.