PayPal Forcing Me To Add Credit Card

MikeTrap
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, so before, probably about a month ago, i recently bought something on ebay, and i was just able to login to paypal during purchase and make my order. but now for some reason paypal wants me to add a credit card saying this

"To pay for this purchase right now, link a credit card to your PayPal account." 

1. i dont know why this change was made, i use to be able to make paypal payments and they just take the money out of my bank account.

2. whats the point of having a paypal account im just forced to use my creditcard anyway, even tho i dont have one. if i did why wouldnt i just use diret to ebay with my credit card?

someone please explain this to me ? i'd like to be able to make my purchases' like i used to, without it prompting me to add a credit card... im loosing ebay purchaces' because of it and im really disgusted....

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Is it an "immediate payment required" eBay listing?  If yes, you will need to have a backup funding source (credit card or debit card) to complement your bank account funded payment.

Bank account funded PayPal payments which do not have a backup funding source are eCheck payments.  eCheck payments take 3-5 business days to clear and cannot be used for "immediate payment required" eBay listings.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

MikeTrap
Contributor
Contributor

Is their any other way to purchase and immediate payment listing without a credit card? Say I add funds to my paypal through my bank account. and that way their is no need to wait for a transaction to go through when I pay for the eBay order? Technically being an instant payment ?

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@MikeTrap wrote:

Say I add funds to my paypal through my bank account. and that way their is no need to wait for a transaction to go through when I pay for the eBay order?

Hi Mike, Yes... that would work for immediate payment required listings.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

footballrev718
Contributor
Contributor

I agree that this is all just getting ridiculous and I have the oppossite problem.  I signed up for paypal and linked it right away to my credit card, which I always pay on time.  Now paypal says I MUST link a checking account to my paypal account, and I cannot do this.  Why is it necesary?  Why didn't they disclose this requirement at the beginning?  Why ddoes paypal or ebay (who owns paypal) not respond to my online questions when I contact them.  Two sellers that I have been pay by paypal for over two weeks have file nonpyer complaints against me, yet ebay and paypal didn;t reply to y questions on how to complete the transactions when the sellers wi only accept paypal.  All I want to dois pay for what I bought and ebay and paypal are stopping me, yet they accept compaints against me for not paying?  Goodbye ebay and paypal.  BTW ...... microsoft has a new service like paypal called WALLET ..... let's hope they do better and take business away from paypal.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@footballrev718 wrote:

Now paypal says I MUST link a checking account to my paypal account, and I cannot do this.  Why is it necesary?  Why didn't they disclose this requirement at the beginning?

It sounds like you've reached your lifetime sending limit.  This limit is described in section 3.1 of PayPal's User Agreement... here's the text...

3.1 Sending Limits.  We may, at our discretion, impose limits on the amount of money you can send through the PayPal Services, including money you send for purchases.  You can view your sending limit, if any, by logging into your Account and clicking on the View Limits link on the Account Overview page.  If you have a Verified Account, we may increase your sending limits.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

footballrev718
Contributor
Contributor

First of all Sandy, do YOU work for ebay or paypal??  You quote a sentence from a long term of conditions that I'm sure nobody reads.  Also, it says they may impose limnits AT THEIR DISCRETION which very much sounds like they reserve the right to do that if you dont follow through and pay your bills.  That doesnt apply to may.  Paypal seems to AUTOMATICALLY impose this dollar limit to everyone without cause, so the "we may impose..." clause is simply a falsehood.  I linked a credit card.  I bought ebay items and then paid with paypal and immediately paid off the credit card.  No bad risk to anybody.  Ebay forces you to use paypal, then forces you to give them your banking account information to pay with paypal.  Why does ebay NEED this information if my bills have been paid EARLY???  I asked nicely four times in emails to them to ask why I had a limit imposed and GOT NO REPLY.  If the limit is NOT automatic, and if nobody can show tat I did anything oher than pay those bills on tile, then the limit should NOT BE IMPOSED ON ME and I should be free to continue to use paypal without that limit.  My creit card company gives me credit limits and I adhere to that of course.  Ebay has a LIFETIME LIMIT unless I give them my most critical financial information???  Absolitely not necessary, and it doesn't fit the "may impose" regulation.  PLEASE, paypal, open up my account so an hnest peron can continue to use it.  Thank you.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

"First of all Sandy, do YOU work for ebay or paypal??"

No.

"You quote a sentence from a long term of conditions that I'm sure nobody reads."

When you signed up with PayPal, you checked a box which states you read and agreed to the PayPal User Agreement.  You really should take the time to read the user agreement.

"Also, it says they may impose limnits AT THEIR DISCRETION which very much sounds like they reserve the right to do that if you dont follow through and pay your bills."

It has nothing to do with whether you pay your bills. It's the lifetime unverified PayPal account sending limit which has been part of the PayPal User Agreement for many, many years. 

It says you should click on the "View Limits" link on your PayPal Account Overview page to view your limits.  Did you do that?

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

uacelite
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I'm really irritated by the same problem.

I tried to pay for an item on ebay with paypal, I log into my paypal account. But then it's asking me to "add a credit card" to the account. I DON'T HAVE A CREDIT CARD! And why can't I pay with my bank account? The item listing DOES NOT SAY THAT IT REQUIRES IMMEDIATE PAYMENT.

Login to Me Too

LAGymnasticsGuy
New Community Member

I too had experienced much frustration while signing up and linking accounts whereas I did not have a credit card, NOR a bank account. I finally opened a checking account. I can tell you from first hand experience that the most effective way to get my problems solved, including the "spending limits" was to CALL THEM directly. On the "Contact" page you can find an option to call, which will give you a code to enter within a certain amount of minutes. It was MUCH easier to speak with someone directly. Be patient while you are getting this all straightened out. In the end you are the one dealing with the stress. So, take a minute for yourself to breathe, call them, and hopefully everything will work out fine.

And, P.S. I was as TICKED OFF as you are now before calling them. But, once things were straightened out, it has been smooth sailing now. 🙂 Best Wishes! 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.