HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

mrs5pennies
Contributor
Contributor

After reading all of the posts and seeing what people now have to go through to get their money, I wrote a letter, on behalf of the millions of Ebay seller, to Eric Holden, US Attorney General.  I am including the letter for all to read.

Office of the Attorney General

U.S. Department of Justice

950 Pennsylvania Avenue , NW

Washington, D.C. 20530-0001

Dear Mr. Eric Holder:

As more and more people are affected by the financial collapse of this country, loss of jobs running rampant, the unemployment rate exceeding 10%, many of these people are turning to alternative ways to make money to sustain their families. Many people are trying to sell unwanted items on Ebay, the online auction giant.

Ebay requires payments be made through Paypal, a company owned by Ebay. Unfortunately, Paypal has recently instituted a 21 day hold on all payments received through them for Ebay sales. Although Paypal pays themselves the fees owed to them immediately, they hold all other funds until (1) feedback is received by Ebay – you have to tell Ebay that feedback has been received, or (2) 21 days have passed with no issues.

Payments received by Paypal include shipping costs required to mail items to purchasers. Most people don't have these funds just laying around doing nothing. In order to ship the item, they need the money. If they can't ship until the funds are released, they run the risk of losing the sale altogether.

I know, personally, one individual who lives on disability payments of less than $700 per month. Trying to make ends meet, he sells on Ebay. Most of his items sell quickly, but in order to mail the items, he must borrow the shipping costs from friends and family. This doesn't seem quite fair.

Let's suppose you buy a car. Are you permitted to take the car unless payment has been made to the dealership? No. Suppose you go to Sears and buy a washer and dryer. Will they deliver it to you without payment? No. When you buy online, do you first have to pay for the item before they will ship it out? Yes. There is nowhere in this world where you can walk out of a store with item in hand unless the store has been paid. Yet, Paypal and Ebay have placed themselves above all others and say, the seller does not get paid until the item is received and there are no complaints.

I don't see how, legally, Ebay and Paypal can do this. I am writing this letter to you on behalf of the millions of sellers on Ebay each and every day, who try to make a living, yet are denied that right.

As the Attorney General for the United States of America, I certainly hope that you can check into the legalities of these actions. I know Ebay and Paypal have probably found some loopholes and are working within those loopholes, but it's time those loopholes are closed for good.

When a person sells something, they need to be paid for that item. Before they ship an item, they need to be paid for it. A seller on Ebay should not have to relinquish their rights, just to sell. They are not paid interest for the 21 days that Paypal holds their monies, which is, in itself, extremely unjust. Since when can Paypal proclaim themselves hallway monitor?

This needs to be investigated. This is as urgent as any other financial institution's underhanded tactics. It needs to be dealt with immediately.

Login to Me Too

asdcompany
Contributor
Contributor

very good, lets see how the government reacts to ppl vs:big business.

Login to Me Too

jj92477
Contributor
Contributor

I AM SENDING A REPORT OF THIS EBAY/PAYPAL MESS TO CNN. PERHAPS IF EVERYONE DOES THIS,  THIS DIRTY LITTLE SECRET WILL BE PUBLICIZED AND HOPEFULLY INVESTIGATED. PLEASE FORWARD A COPY OF YOUR LETTER TO CNN, ALONG WITH YOUR COMMENTS. 

Login to Me Too

WebSiteNewbie
Contributor
Contributor

You Work For Ebay... For Free

You work for eBay... for what is basically an hourly wage, while your "business" fails to build its own equity. But from eBay's point of view, you're working for free. Actually, you're paying them.

EBay never owns, warehouses, or ships a single product. However, they do collect a small amount for each transaction... which now adds up to billions of dollars per year.

A "small amount"... until you consider the cost of doing all the "hard parts" for eBay.

A "small amount"... until you realize that you are not building a business of your own, one with true value (i.e., one that can be sold). (However, you are building eBay's equity... its shareholders thank you.)

A "small amount"... until you realize that if you don't own your own traffic, you can't own your own business. And you're stuck... because eBay owns the traffic.

Which means you depend on them.

Break Free from the auction giant

Login to Me Too

jstagirl24
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, keep us updated, as of now Im investigating other options found from this post. Google checkout, First Merchant Services Free Electronic Cash registers.  Would really love to know if anything comes of your letter though. I read some where there may even be  a class action suit against Pay Pal already. Sure hope so.

Login to Me Too

femsol
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@jstagirl24 wrote:

Thanks, keep us updated, as of now Im investigating other options found from this post. Google checkout, First Merchant Services Free Electronic Cash registers.  Would really love to know if anything comes of your letter though. I read some where there may even be  a class action suit against Pay Pal already. Sure hope so.

Please go register on www.letsuepaypal.com  this is where the beginnings of a class action suit is being coordinated and we need everyone who is affected to join in.  It is mentioned over and over--so go register.  There is also good information and resources posted. Ignore the normal scammers that feel they need to post irrelevant webpages.

Login to Me Too

trob

you didnt pay attention.  they only hold them for the first few ebay transactions to make sure you are legit.  After you get past those first few transactions, there isnt a hold. 

quit freaking out

Login to Me Too

jj92477
Contributor
Contributor

if u pay attention to all of these comments, most of these victims are NOT new to ebay or paypal. many of us HAVE sold hundreds of the same or similar or a myriad of different items. MOST of us HAVE proven " LEGIT " for years, some of us from the beginning of ebay and paypal.  We have good feedbacks, and have both bought and sold hundreds. 

and o, yes, they ARE holding these funds for up to the entire 21 days. those rose colored glasses need some cleaning, my friend

and then you have the illegalities along with the lack of moralities escalating within the paypal/ebay corp. good luck on that hanging in there and expecting good things to come of this.........................

Login to Me Too

Alterdisturbed1
Contributor
Contributor

Trob, are you seriously that ignorant?  PayPal is holding funds of people such as myself who have been reputable sellers for years.  I have been a seller on eBay for nearly 9 years and have a 100% feedback rating (not 1 negative or neutral).  You must be an employee/board monitor for PayPal because any rational person can see what PayPal is doing.  Using our money to earn dividends in an interest bearing account to raise profits to show it's stockholders higher 1st quarter earnings for 2010.  eBay and PayPal are losing out to Amazon, eBid & other auction sites that charge less in fees & are more user friendly.  I have moved my complete store off of eBay now and regardless if my sales go down i will not give any more of my money to these greedy **bleep**.

Login to Me Too

mrs5pennies
Contributor
Contributor

If that's true, then why is this happening?  My friend's account still has over $400 in holds on it and he's been "legit" for quite a while.  Everything is verified.  In fact, he has two items where they were sent, feedback was placed, and the funds are still in a holding pattern...Why????.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.