HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

insolentpheasan
Contributor
Contributor

dear JVB: thanks for reply. i would be interested how many participants in the paypal system are as disgruntled as i am. paypal makes it as difficult as possible to contact anyone. i am also interested whether it is legal for paypal to hold fundsd that have been paid in good faith by buyers to sellers for up to 21 days and not pay the buyer interest earned by the delay? this new policy is particularly irritating as i deal primarilyin small sales and would be more than glad to accept checks, money orders and the like. is there anything that can be done? spread the word and welcome answers.

Login to Me Too

Disenchanted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Insolent!

You are far from alone in your disgust with the hold policy.

I've offered my two cents in various posts in this forum. Feel free to review them.

The sad reality is PayBay will do what they want with impunity simply due to their size and virtual monopoly in the market sector. They say there is nothing illegal about the operation of the policy...so of course that proves its legality!

Further as to my own experience, PP holds funds beyond three days post verified delivery seemingly at its own discretion. I pressed them for a reason for a hold on one account 8 days post verified delivery (I thought being specific as to one uniquely numbered transaction would help them focus). This is simply requesting they explain their own policy. They refuse to (translation: the lap-dogs are forbidden to) offer a reason.

If they can't or won't fully and clearly explain a severely detrimental policy...one the full scope and operation of which is hardly disclosed in the agreement, then how can it be enforceable?

So what do do...?

Legal challenge is expensive for the nominal damages involved and PP knows this. 

But...if funds are held beyond that implied in policy and for no articulated reason (at least none they will disclose) and it causes additional monetary harm...the proceeds have been devalued by the time you get them back...for whatever reason. It seems to fit nicely into the definition of conversion. Of course PP knows if you want to mount a legal challenge at huge costs to recover a couple of dollars, have at it. Bigger challenges they will settle with no admission of wrong-doing.

The agreement itself is misleading at best.

The operation of the policy can cause multiple burdens.

It exists, so says PP, because new/infrequent sellers are presumed dishonest or high risk...so the new seller must fund the 'buyer protection' given to the buyer. [Actually, I've discussed this with several of my buyers who were insulted upon learning that PP had held their funds. They thought the operation of the policy gave the impression that they, the buyer, did something underhanded. They assumed the funds had transferred immediately].

There has been a class action initiated, but it would seem the plaintiffs are bigger players than the casual, private seller.

I suggest writing your state representatives (of course, once you have a good letter, send it  to anyone you think might have some sort of oversight). Follow up (often) with phone calls. Tell them the specific harm to you, the general harm to their constituents and the potential tragic harm the operation of the policy can have.

Pester them. An attack at the state level by us 'small guys' might convince state legislatures to review PPs business practices and consider whether the state really wants to license them to operate in their state given the polilcy.

Don't buy from merchants using PP. Ask them if there is an alternative payment method. If not, then nicely explain why you won't trade with them.

Talk. Write. Phone. EMail. Pester. Be professional but be indignant.

Any explanations you get here will give you little comfort. Unfortunately, part of the gig of 'advising' is playing lap-dog to such an underhanded policy, so don't be too hard on them.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck.

Login to Me Too

insolentpheasan
Contributor
Contributor

dear disenchanted and the other nice people who responded afterwards:

we seem to all be in the same boat. i have mailed my two items, contacted the two buyers, paid 70 cents each for tracking numbers which i have sent in to paypal: finally yesterday one of my funds was released and i am awaiting on the next one.

i do not wish to offend any buyers or lose sales but i am wondering if it would help to notify buyers that their funds are being held by paypal and i cannot send the item until the funds are released which will take 21 days? or is that cutting off my nose to spite my face?

disenchanted has done an excellent summary. the only thing in question i question is whether then go to local politicians, an concerted effort should be made to bring the issue to professional publications and other media sources, , ie. business editor of wall street journal, consumer reports, 60 minutes and the like. also whether letters can be sent to the ceo of paypal (is that a separate ceo than the ceo of ebay which also controls paypal?).

to me it is a serious matter that paypal is holding paid funds from buyers to sellers and not paying interest on the monies. it is also unfair that sellers are not allowed to accept funds by any other means, ie. personal check, money order, cashier's check , etc.

as i write, i am wondering whether this policy is also intended to discourage and weed out small sellers by ebay/paypal? if so, we need to find a seller/buyer friendly new source. let us keep writing, communicating and supporting each other and see what this can lead to. thanks again to all the replies. insolentpheasant2

Login to Me Too

scorpio187
New Community Member

for me i sent the items 30 mins after they paid me and still i can not get my money.. im just a 20 yr old trying to pay my rent and the people of paypal refuse to help me in anyway why was there no warrning of because u never sold anything before we are going to withhold your money...i mean seriuosly atleast warn someone this is complete bs.

Login to Me Too

insolentpheasan
Contributor
Contributor

dear scorpio 187: maybe this is the problem: we are all small time sellers and ebay/paypal does not find us worth dealing with.  usually i sell books in the $10-15 range: by the time i have paid the ebay fees, the paypal fees, possibly tracking fees from 70 cents on up, the mailing costs (increasingly restrictive by ebay as $4.00 limited for most books for s/h), it is almost a waste of time to even list the book.

then ebay/paypal are basically inaccessible as all questions and concerns are rebuffed by canned computer answers. it is very discouraging in all aspectsm, and i hope we can coherently and rationally band together and try to get some redress, hang in there scorpio 187 and hopefully we can build up enough of our profiles to be allowed to receive our funds immediately on  payment and/or there will appear another people friendly internet sales system. bonanzle is very nice to use and deal with but it has not caught on yet. regards, insolentpheasant2

Login to Me Too

tskot28
Contributor
Contributor

As much of a pain in the butt it may be, Its still a good idea. They couldnt offer protection from being ripped off if they didnt have some type of security for themselves. And looking at if from both a seller and a buyers point of view I feel much safer purchasing from someone that doesnt have much of a rating on ebay knowing that unless i get my item they havent recieved my money yet. I have no problem getting my money after I ship and it arrives whether I have a signature or delivery confimation I still get the money that day or following. So look at it this way its an insurance policy so they can offer an insurance policy.

Login to Me Too

SistaJewels
Contributor
Contributor

to insolentpheasan..you wrote :

"i do not wish to offend any buyers or lose sales but i am wondering if it would help to notify buyers that their funds are being held by paypal and i cannot send the item until the funds are released which will take 21 days? or is that cutting off my nose to spite my face?"

The PROBLEM with this issue is that the current 5 star rating is set up to get small business out of eBay as people can easily stab you in the back with a smile by leavng you a positive comment about their item or items and totally slam you on the numbers, whether a situation is your fault or they are just having a bad day and you can lose your ability to sell on eBay. Why they have NO respect or care for those veterans on eBay (like me) that BUILT them to be where they are now, is simple..The all mighty buck, you are Owned, you are not a business owner ? if anyone thinks so, they are deceived. The constraints and control that the buyer along with eBay has over you now is a travesty to mom and pop businesses..many of my old timer friends that had shooting star feedback and have been there since the beginning, are already off of eBay or struggling to prove themselves innocent from liar buyers. It really used to be fair, believe it or not and paypal started out free ! The good old days are dead and we made a living that was fair back then when trade was fair for both seller and buyer.

Login to Me Too

beckyleer

You are amazing!

you should be our atorney 🙂

i am so upset about this!

I am in a very bad way sold my first thing ever on ebay and was looking forward to grocery shoping and now I read that I can't have my money!

I won't bother with ebay or pay pal again!

thank you to all who take the time to educate us all.

I feel really bad for the ones who have good feed back and have done this for a long time and get treated like this it's not right!

tu

Login to Me Too

vsacour
Contributor
Contributor

I feel your pain I am absolutely disgusted too I have decided to sell a couple of personal item for gas and food for my family until my first pay check(Just returning to work) bad enough I spent $ 37.00 out of pocket for shipping thinking I would have it back in a couple days..The joke was on me customer received their package yesterday with tracking number and I'm sitting here broke have no idea how I am getting to work on Monday.I will never sell on ebay again in my life Shame on you paypal.furthermore did they ever think abt the fact that a cust can receive and do any thing to the product and then file a claim during this time they have made us the buyers the helpless ones.

Login to Me Too

zachi2
Contributor
Contributor

im seeing alot of this going on. i looked at the emial i got, it said that my money would be release IF the package was deleived. (put the tracking code in after i got back form the post office, it was delivied within 3 days) OR the buyer leaves positive feedback (which she did. she was very happy with the sale)

so why did they put my money on hold. i would like my 40 bucks please

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.