Card changed, Wrong card, Error when adding card, What payment method was used

ACM_DrewH
Contributor
Contributor

I just went to pay for some goods and noticed the card number it was going to use was not my card.  I checked I'd logged into the correct account, which I was, but my card details have been changed.  I'm the only person with login details and I have 2FA with a Yubikey, so I though this very strange.  I paid using my bank account, then logged into paypal to check my card details.  The card number wasn't even similar to mine, so I deleted it.  The last 4 digits of my card where 'like' 1234 and this card was 'like' 9876 .

I now want to re-add the correct card, but I get the error "We're sorry, we're not able to process your request right now. Please try again later." when adding the card details.  Any ideas on what's wrong?

Also, is there a way to see what payment method was used?  The payment I made today shows it was from my bank account in the transaction details, but all my previous transactions don't state the payment source.  I'd like to check if I've paid someone with the wrong card details.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

ACM_DrewH
Contributor
Contributor

I think I figured out what happened.

This morning I received a new debit card from my bank.  Its last 4 digits are the same as what changed in PayPal.  I wasn't due a new card and I only received the card today, so how did PayPal know I was getting a new card, not only before I did, but also the new number?  This is worrying.

Adding the new card went through without error.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.