Balance in debit - can Paypal take money directly from bank account?

MVine
Contributor
Contributor

So my account is in negative balance since I have been effectively scammed. However this is pending the result of a dispute. My question is:

If I lose the case, will Paypal deduct the money straight from my bank account? (I really cannot afford this). 

If I was to cancel the main debit card on my PayPal account with the bank, could Paypal still take the money from the corresponding Bank Account?

Does paypal allow a negative balance to be paid off in installments?

Thank you 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MVine 

Not unless you authorize a transaction involving your linked accounts (ie. sending money) or have any funds held in your foreign currency PayPal balances as well as any incoming payments received in your primary balance can be made to off set what you owe. To resolve your negative balance generally is to add money to your account. You can always borrow the money from family/friend and pay back them back in installments. There’s no mention of the option of PayPal back in installments. You can contact customer services re: that. PayPal can also restrict an account due to negative balance, too.

Info re: negative balances:

What should I do if my PayPal balance has fallen below zero?
Why do I have a negative balance?

Do I have to pay my full negative balance to complete a payment?

I resolved my negative balance, so why is my payment being blocked?

Why does PayPal have the right to stop me from sending money if I have a negative balance?

You can also do a browser search on the word “owe” or “negative balance” when on the user agreement for even more relevant policies:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full 

ie. Reimbursement for your liability

You agree that we may set off any of the amounts held in accounts held or controlled by you with any fees, charges or other amounts you owe us and any such amounts you owe to our affiliates as defined in the Indemnification and Limitation of Liability section below (including, without limitation, in respect of any services provided by any such affiliate). In simple terms, our right to set off means that we may deduct such fees, charges or other amounts mentioned in this section from a balance in a PayPal account held or controlled by you.

If there are insufficient funds in your balance to cover your liability, we reserve the right to collect the amount you owe us by deducting the amount (or any part of it) from any payments received in or money you add to your PayPal account. Otherwise you agree to reimburse us through other means. We may also recover amounts you owe us through legal means, including, without limitation, through the use of a debt collection agency.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MVine 

Not unless you authorize a transaction involving your linked accounts (ie. sending money) or have any funds held in your foreign currency PayPal balances as well as any incoming payments received in your primary balance can be made to off set what you owe. To resolve your negative balance generally is to add money to your account. You can always borrow the money from family/friend and pay back them back in installments. There’s no mention of the option of PayPal back in installments. You can contact customer services re: that. PayPal can also restrict an account due to negative balance, too.

Info re: negative balances:

What should I do if my PayPal balance has fallen below zero?
Why do I have a negative balance?

Do I have to pay my full negative balance to complete a payment?

I resolved my negative balance, so why is my payment being blocked?

Why does PayPal have the right to stop me from sending money if I have a negative balance?

You can also do a browser search on the word “owe” or “negative balance” when on the user agreement for even more relevant policies:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full 

ie. Reimbursement for your liability

You agree that we may set off any of the amounts held in accounts held or controlled by you with any fees, charges or other amounts you owe us and any such amounts you owe to our affiliates as defined in the Indemnification and Limitation of Liability section below (including, without limitation, in respect of any services provided by any such affiliate). In simple terms, our right to set off means that we may deduct such fees, charges or other amounts mentioned in this section from a balance in a PayPal account held or controlled by you.

If there are insufficient funds in your balance to cover your liability, we reserve the right to collect the amount you owe us by deducting the amount (or any part of it) from any payments received in or money you add to your PayPal account. Otherwise you agree to reimburse us through other means. We may also recover amounts you owe us through legal means, including, without limitation, through the use of a debt collection agency.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.