PayPal Account in Debit - When Will PayPal Try to Take Payment Again?

Grumpy_
Contributor
Contributor

My PayPal payments are usually paid via direct debit from my bank but due to a direct debit (Nothing to do with PayPal) being taken eight months early, I know, eight months early, my bank account didn't have the expected funds in it so my PayPal account is now showing as being in a debit of -£33.29.
PayPal attempted to withdraw the required funds on 24th February but understandably that failed, will there be a second attempt to take those funds? If so, when will it be?
The mess with the original eight month early (I know, eight months) has been sorted out and everything is back to where it should be, apart from that debit on my PayPal account. I have actually tried to manually pay the outstanding balance but PayPal would only allow me to do that with a different bank account or debit card, neither of which I have.
I'm just not used to being in the red and more than a little worried to see it like this and I just want to get things back to normal with my PayPal account as quickly as possible.
Thanks. 😉

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Grumpy_ 

Allow a few days, there are things you can do to resolve it yourself but be aware if you and paypal do the transfer at the same time then there may be x2 payments transferring at the same time, however one would clear the neg balance and the second be a + credit on that balance.

Ways to clear a negative balance.

1. Transfer funds from your bank account via the add funds function.

2. The quickest and easiest way is to get a mate or family member to send a payment via the friends / family option. As long as they don't fund it with a card it should be free.

3. Via a card over the phone with paypal.

4. Buy something and Paypal will normally add the debt to that payment during checkout when you authorise the purchase.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Grumpy_ 

If you have failed bank transfer then Paypal automatically keep trying to access those funds to clear your negative balance.
They have already fronted the payment to the seller on your behalf and so want the money owed.
If it fails from your bank account again then they may try any back up cards you have linked to your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Grumpy_
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlassThanks for replying, that's reassuring to now. Do you know if there's any time frame for when the second attempt should happen?

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Grumpy_ 

Allow a few days, there are things you can do to resolve it yourself but be aware if you and paypal do the transfer at the same time then there may be x2 payments transferring at the same time, however one would clear the neg balance and the second be a + credit on that balance.

Ways to clear a negative balance.

1. Transfer funds from your bank account via the add funds function.

2. The quickest and easiest way is to get a mate or family member to send a payment via the friends / family option. As long as they don't fund it with a card it should be free.

3. Via a card over the phone with paypal.

4. Buy something and Paypal will normally add the debt to that payment during checkout when you authorise the purchase.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Grumpy_
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again,
I won't bother involving anybody else in making a payment if it's going to happen pretty quickly anyway.
Thanks fir helping, I really appreciate that.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.