Payment delayed on "System Display" - WHY?

Taylorguk
Contributor
Contributor

Friends and family payment - listed on my account as "money sent".

Payee says he can't access funds - says payment is on "System display"

What does this mean and why? If there's a problem why hasn't PayPal informed me and returned my money?

At the moment Paypal appears to be holding my money (and no doubt earning interest on it) for no good reason! This is tantamount to robbery!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Taylorguk 

If its showing as SENT then the funds have successfully completed to the email address you sent the funds to that is linked to an open and active paypal account.

Paypal rarely hold friends/family payments and if they do then its normally a 24 hour review. This is to check that the funds are not being used to pay for goods or services and the buyer/seller are using that option to negate paying any fees which is against paypal rules and can lead to an account limitation.

So wait 24 hours and your friend or family member should receive your gift of money.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Taylorguk
Contributor
Contributor

I have had sums outstanding for much longer than 24hrs!

But the worst aspect is being lied to and kept in the dark! When my account says "money sent" I naturally assume it's reached the Payee, not stuck in some PayPal purgatory while some minion thinks about it. Why aren't payers informed of delays? It's embarrassing to be contacted by payees and be told they can't access cash I've been told is sent! If Paypal can't pay out immediately for whatever reason they should be honest about it and return funds to the originator. I am on the verge closing my account and going elsewhere for better service.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Taylorguk 

Goods/services payments are held for a lot  longer (up to 21 days) but I am talking about friends/family payments which is what you say you used? So unless its a pending echeque (which this is not) then the 'review' is normally 24 hours.

If its marked as SENT then the payee has received it.

Be careful as a lot of scammers ask you to send and use the friends/family option then they can 'pretend' they didn't receive it knowing there is nothing you can do about it as you have already negated your buyer protection by sending the payment using the friends/family option.

I don't think its Paypal that is to blame here, if its marked as SENT the payee has received it and if its not marked as review in your paypal account as well then it won't be in the recipients. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.