Move USD from PayPal to USD account in Canada

ocgltd
Contributor
Contributor

I have a large USD balance in my PayPal account, and I want to transfer it to my USD bank account, in Canada.  I don't want to move the money from USD -> CAD -> USD as I will incur significant exchange fees.

I've tried several times to add my Canadian USD account to PayPal but it refuses (says Canadian accounts must contain CAD).  I tried to add this as a US bank account but that didn't work either.

Help - how do I get my money out without all the exchange fees?

Login to Me Too
118 REPLIES 118

Adamfalah1
Contributor
Contributor

Please check the URL below, I have had the same problem and I just connected it to my bank, I have not confirmed the link bank account yet as it takes few days for Paypal to do the deposit and withdrawal of the small deposit to confirm the bank!! 

<removed>

Login to Me Too

Musicman20
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I too am having trouble with this problem. Has anyone come up with a better solutions. I have tried most of the comments (not the USA friend one YET) and I still can’t access my usd funds so frustrating! Please help if you can. Thanks
Login to Me Too

CKTANG
Contributor
Contributor
Pls help to transfer USD to MALAYSIA PayPal TQ!
Login to Me Too

me_212
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone confirmed that it works?  I have TD Trust (canada) and TD bank (US) account. It'd be great if I could move it because I'm earning 0% by just keeping USD in my PayPal.ca account.  

Login to Me Too

Matthew514
Contributor
Contributor

It works! This is what I do with my US money.

Login to Me Too

me_212
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently PayPal canada does not allow that anymore because of a Canadian law. Arggh!

Does anyone else have suggestions?

Login to Me Too

jimmybatt
Contributor
Contributor

They will not allow you to connect to your USD account in Canada. I tried everything I could find online and waited 2 days to get a hold from them after several calls talking to a bot that send me to a chat bot that finally sent me to a person. The customer service representative from Paypal told me the account was "Disable" and that was the reason it didn't work so she "enabled" it. I trusted her work and connected the account just to find next day an email saying "Bank account invalid".

After going thru the same painful process to get with someone on the line the person this time told me my bank is not compatible, although I have my CAD account connecting and working with them. They will simply not do it because they make big profits in their own currency exchange.

Do yourself a favor and create a Stripe account. I was able to connect my two currency accounts in a breeze and has been working with no problem with my ecommerce businesses.

Login to Me Too

me_212
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I wasted a lot of time talking to various CSR's who said it'd work only to be told that they no longer support US banks (why do they still have it as an option?).  Can I move my Paypal balance to a Stripe account?  It's so annoying that my my rather large USD balance has been sitting there for years earning nothing and I can't move it.  I refuse to do the fx with Paypal because why should I pay for my own $.  

Login to Me Too

me_212
Contributor
Contributor

Can you transfer money from your Paypal account to your stripe account?

Login to Me Too

ZekeDeEspanada
Contributor
Contributor

So, I feel the pain of folks here. It took quite some time and experimenting to figure this out but here is a solution that works for us. We learned this after my spouse started online tutoring at the start of the pandemic (yup, she was laid off). The dilemma was she was that she was being paid by the teaching platforms in USD and was losing a small fortune to fees and unfavorable currency conversion rates in addition to the commission taken by the teaching platform. Here are some of the steps and lessons learned to overcome this:

Lesson 1: You can no longer create a US PayPal account without a US Address. You could do this at the start up of PayPal as my friend found out he was being dinged with exchange fees for all his Canadian Transactions. From CAD to USD back to CAD. Turns out when he call support, they told him it was a US account. So they set up a Canadian Account and linked both. Call it being Grandfathered in. So unless you have a nice little condo in Florida, assume you will be creating a Canadian PayPal account. 

Lesson 2: If your interest is currency exchange do NOT use banks. Also, using PayPal for currency exchange, while convenient for some thing, will cost you almost as much as the banks. There are far better options for currency exchange. Check out Monito for options. We created accounts in many of the top rated services and tested them. All work well, however, for the best rates (and more money in our pockets) we landed on Transferwise for smaller transfer amounts and OFX for larger amounts as our exchange agents of choice. As OFX is a foreign exchange approach, transfers take a little longer as they actually exchange your money on the currency markets. Transferwise and those like it have a very different and innovative approach that allows them to offer very cheap exchanges and get the money to you very quickly.

Lesson 3: Set up a US Bank Account using the subsidiary of a Canadian Bank. It costs you nothing to do this and doesn't require a US address. Many top Canadian Banks are now offering US Accounts for Snowbirds, Cross Border Shoppers, etc. These accounts are IN the US... not Canadian accounts holding US Dollars. As our Canadian bank is RBC Royal Bank, we went with their option, RBC Bank, located in Georgia I believe. This also come with a Visa debit card which is useful when you are shopping in the US. 

Lesson 4: Once you have your account set up, you need to link your PayPal account to it (if you really feel you need to use PayPal... remember, there are alternatives depending). Forget about your existing PayPal Account that is already connected to your Canadian accounts. We had no luck at all linking the US account to this. Start Fresh. First create a new email account and brand new PayPal Account. Before you do anything else, link your US Bank to it (seem to recall only setting up a USD balance also... no CAD... but can't remember that step. Works like a charm. We haven't connected anything else to this PayPal Account as, like I mentioned, we use other means for currency exchange. So, you should now be able to move US funds to and from your PayPal account. If you get paid in USD, collect it here.

Lesson 5: Once you have your USD account, you can connect it directly to all your other pay, transfer and exchange services. We also use Payoneer. This and Transferwise (maybe others) actually provide you with accounts in multiple currencies and provide you with Bank Account credentials for the country you are operating it (e.g. Routing Number and Account Number in US, Bank/Transit/Account for Canadian balances). Funds sit with the company but you can access them like it is a bank account. Sadly, without a mobile phone address in the US, we can't use person to person services like Venmo which seem to be taking off in the US for small transactions.

Lesson 6: Make SURE you use the EXACT same name for all your accounts. ANY variation in this will break it. So if your bank account says John Doe, your PayPal account should not use I.M. John Doe. Setting up new accounts from the start helps avoid this. Of course this should be the name that is on your Canadian bank account as the Bank will require this. 

Lesson 7: Set up a US Chequing Account not a savings account. Any interest bearing account, no matter how small your return, will require you to connect with the US IRS. I thought Canadian regulatory forms were bad! As the exchange has been rather bad of late, we've been holding funds in the US to see if markets turn around. While sitting there, we figured why not be earning interest and set up a Premium Money Market savings account. When we started filling in the forms, we decided to cancel the account the next day. I think the other option was to not fill the form and after a time, we would have been considered a "Non resident Alien" for Tax purposes and IRS would require the bank to withhold 30% in taxes. As we are approaching retirement, I didn't want anything like this to affect our potential for "Snowbird" status 🙂

Hope this helps!

Zeke

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.