Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ko-Fi payments

Options
Maddylin
Contributor
Posted on

Does paypal take a fee when accepting ko-fi transactions? For example, some one sent me $6 over Ko-Fi but I only received $5.54 in my paypal.

edit: and the payment was from someone using the same currency as me.

12 REPLIES 12

Ko-Fi payments

Options
kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@Maddylin 

If you are receiving payments for goods / services then yes you pay a fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

Ko-Fi payments

Options
Milui
Contributor

But from Ko-Fi we recieve onl donations, we donˋt give any service or goods in return. So Paypal shouldnˋt cut off anything...

Ko-Fi payments

Options
Milui
Contributor

This topic could really need more attention I think. What is the communities opinion? It would be great and fair and inside the guidelines of paypal to not cut off a piece from donations. They should be categorized like a gift from friends. People want to help you and most are not aware, that you only get a part of it. E.g. one "coffee" on ko-fi is 3€. If the reciever gets only 2,50 or so, I'd be upset as a donator. And for being the one in need it is a pity seeing the money flow away  when even the smallest amount would definately help you to survive, for your project, or whatever. 

Ko-Fi payments

Options
Aldric-Cheylan
New Community Member
I'm using Ko-fi as well and yes, goods or donations, PayPal always takes fees. So Ko-fi indeed doesn't take a fee, but PayPal does. And PayPal takes 12% on the price you're supposed to get... It's simply huge. It's not fair at all.

Ko-Fi payments

Options
rainbowstarks
Contributor
Ko-fi is sometimes for donations though, not goods and services

Ko-Fi payments

Options
Emity
Contributor

Still a thing… and being in Australia means I don’t even get the choice to use anything else. 

People donate $3, I receive $2.44 and that’s before exchange fees etc. I get it that PP needs to make money but damn. 

Ko-Fi payments

Options
Himbeerfalter
New Community Member

In Austria wie can only choose PayPal or Stripe… both take fees… why can’t I just use my bank account…

Ko-Fi payments

Options
ValiantStudios
Contributor

We have encountered this problem as well.
As a small company, all funds are necessary. We decided to migrate from Patreon because of its fees, but are disappointed to find that using Ko-Fi comes with fees as well, but due to PayPal.
It is understandable that paypal counts this as a business transaction, but for many cases it isnt, and there should be infrastructure to determine this.
Ko-Fi has clearly defined payments, that of commissions (which are paying for goods and services), and that of donations/membership tiers, which are for the purpose of donating, not paying for a good or service.

Ko-Fi payments

Options
rainbowstarks
Contributor
Yep, same issue. I just joined Ko-fi to take donations, and I am getting charged paypal fees even though its not for goods or services. Whats the point of even using Ko-fi, I should just get people to go via PayPal, but then it feels more like asking them to pay me than a donation. Really annoying, can someone please attend to this?

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.