A deposit stopped me from using PayPal debit card

Coolavin
New Community Member
1. I have a PayPal business debit card that is directly connected to my credit union checking account. Purchases using this debit card are supposed to draw directly from my checking account. No money is required to be in my PayPal account to use this debit card, according to PayPal's own policies. 2. I decided to transfer $100 out of my credit union checking account and put it into my PayPal account. This was not a debit card transaction. Transfers take 3-5 business days. 3. I made a purchase at Etsy using PayPal Checkout. The transaction completed, people got paid, everybody's happy. The PayPal business debit card was not used for this transaction. 4. I tried to buy the new Zelda videogame from Amazon using the PayPal business debit card. Total purchase was just under $75. The funds were supposed to be drawn from my credit union checking account, not from my PayPal balance (which was zero because the $100 deposit takes 3-5 business days). No money is required to even be in my PayPal account because the PayPal business debit card draws directly from my checking account. 5. PayPal rejected the Amazon purchase. I thought, ok, maybe I should buy the game digitally from Nintendo through their eShop in the Nintendo Switch console. PayPal rejected that purchase too. 6. When asked why my debit card purchases were being rejected, customer support told me on the phone it was because I have a transaction limit on my debit card. 6. No transactions went through on my PayPal business debit card, so how & why is there any limit on debit card purchase transactions? 9. I have never been notified by PayPal in emails or in my account interface online that my account is limited in any way. 10. My credit union is not stopping payment. Amazon & Nintendo are not rejecting my purchase... I have good relationships with both 11. Currently, there is only a single $100 deposit of MY MONEY given to PayPal for deposit into my PayPal account. 12. There are no other pending transactions. I have not exceeded any spending limits. None of my accounts anywhere are flagged as suspicious or anything. 13. Why is my PayPal business debit card being limited when the only pending transaction is a $100 deposit (not required for purchases)? 14. Does Paypal limit all accounts like this or am I being singled out for unknown reasons? Unrelated, but I am a disabled veteran whose disability is visual impairment. It means I can barely see any text on a white background --- like ALL of PayPal's pages, this forum, the app, the Support Chat that everyone directs me to, etc. I can barely even see what I'm writing, yet customer support insists on sending me to chat, where I have to explain all of the above, over & over to each new person they assign to my issue. I have tried for a full 24 hours to resolve the issue of transaction limits to my debit card (which never even got used at all, ironically)... I have now cancelled my order for the game at Amazon, because PayPal is treating me like I'm doing something wrong when I'm not.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Coolavin 

For best performance of the card, you should always try to have available funds in your PayPal balance at time of purchase. The bank account linked is to be used as backup in case your available balance is a little short to cover a purchase but the back up bank account is not meant to fund the entire purchase every time you use card on a long term basis. It will eventually start declining if you keep using the card that way. If you added cash ahead of time, wait for the funds to be available before using card. Purchase of electronics could trigger security as well. I know someone with this card who use the card in this way until they happened to buy an open box tv at a 24 hr grocery/general merchandise store around 11 at night because it was a great deal and got no available funds in the PayPal balance, they got declined. 

Cardholder Agreement

2. Debit Card. The Debit Card allows you to access the funds held in your PayPal Account, and for purchases that exceed the available funds in such PayPal Account, the funds available in your linked bank account.

5. Using your Debit Card.

a. Purchases. You may use the Debit Card to purchase or lease goods or services everywhere Mastercard is accepted as long as you do not exceed your available balance and other restrictions do not apply. PayPal Account restrictions include, but are not limited to: restricted geographic or merchant locations where there is a higher risk of fraud or illegal activity; restrictions to comply with laws or prevent our liability; and other restrictions to prevent fraud and other losses. For security reasons, we may, with or without prior notice, limit the type, amount, or number of transactions you can make on your Debit Card. You may not use your Debit Card for illegal online gambling or any other illegal transaction. We may increase, reduce, cancel, or suspend any of these restrictions or add new ones at any time.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.