credit card as my preferred payment in CAD, PayPal used USD balance

helixjames
Contributor
Contributor

I set my credit card as my preferred payment, but PayPal used my USD balance to pay for a automatic payment in CAD. Is there a way to either *not* use my balance at all to make payments or protect my USD from being used for CAD transactions? I have inactivated all automatic payments until this is resolved.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@helixjames 

For automatic payments, PayPal always uses the balance first. Says so when you open the profile for the merchant.

However, try selecting CAD as your primary balance (at the Wallet page) which is your default currency for sending and requesting. If you have a CAD balance PayPal uses that first, otherwise, it’ll use the back up funding source set for automatic payment profile of the merchant.

Any USD you receive will automatically go to the USD currency balance. You can also set how your account handle foreign currency payments in your Seller tools page > Payment receiving preferences (see first setting listed)

Keep in mind that if you want to spend USD balance or any other foreign currency balance, just manually select the currency at checkout instead of needing to change the primary balance to another currency. Just keep CAD as your default/primary balance as you’ll be using that the most and for your automatic payments.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

WARDH1
New Community Member

PAYPAL I think that is really dumb. It would make more business sense to allow users to build up a balance so they use it as a pre-paid debit card. This gives you investment money as members savings grow. Just like a bank. As it is I can't manage my balance to be used with my debit card. It is now useless.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.