Refund denied

Rhothan
Contributor
Contributor

I've sent a payment via the recipient's request, and the money was taken from my account. According to the recipient, they got the notification by PayPal that the funds will be available within 24 hours. It's been three days and the money did not arrive. I issued a refund to try again, however my request was denied, and I no longer have the option for the transaction to be reverted. How can I get my money back or ensure that the funds will get to the recipient? 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rhothan 

How did you send the funds ie goods/services or friends/family?

How did you fund the paypal payment?

What does it say on the transaction in your paypal account ie sent, payment, unclaimed etc?

What do you mean you issued a refund? Only recipients can issue refunds?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rhothan
Contributor
Contributor

I sent it as 'Friend and Family'

It was from the account, so not via my card or bank account

It says "Money sent" at the activity tab

So I issued a refund prior to this one (on another account), when the money went to the wrong address, I wrote "Funds did not reflect on receiver's account" as reason, and I got the money back within an hour. This time it was denied.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rhothan 

If its marked as SENT then it has successfully transferred to the email address you sent it to that is linked to an active paypal account.

If you sent the funds for a purchase then be careful. Its against paypal rules to use the friends/family option to purchase goods or services and you negate any buyer protection if you do so.

Scammers will tell you to pay that way and then when they get the funds will 'pretend' that they haven't received them.

If it had gone to the wrong person then the email address would be incorrect for the person you sent it to OR if it was sent to an email address not linked to an active paypal account it would show as unclaimed. That may have happened last time and enabled you to cancel it. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.