Fee Chargeback, Someone sent me money by mistake and now I have to pay?

darkoshine
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Someone mistakenly transferred me $100 then £100 and then £1000. Being honest I told paypal I had no idea why and told them to refund them as soon as possible.

I was told I would receive no charges for this.

I did then infact get charged £71.91 GBP in total for the three chargebacks. Now customer service will not answer my calls, e-mails, complaints and are threatening collection agency if I do not pay the £71.91 GBP for three transactions I knew nothing about and as far as I'm aware were a mistake, but I have no idea how this person got access to my paypal address and made THREE wrong transactions in a row.

All I want is for the balance to set back to 0 before the fees for transactions I had nothing to do with and to close the account. Staff have been rude, unhelpful, out right lied about fees on the initial call and hung up on me during my complaints.

What do I do? They are going to tank my credit rating all for someone elses mistake and won't help me resolve it. I don't have the money to pay this fee I can barely afford meals and gas and electric as it is, actual disgrace and no one will help.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@darkoshine 

When you issue a 'refund' then any fee is not returned as part of that refund made.

So what you should have done is contact the sender and tell them you would be issuing a part refund minus the fee element as it was their fault and so you should not be out of pocket.

Unfortunately if you did not click on the transaction, check the fee charged before you hit refund and didn't minus the fee and do a part refund then you would foot the bill for those fees.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

darkoshine
Contributor
Contributor

Hello thank you for your reply

This was not made aware to me at all by anyone even when asking about fees

Also I do not know the buyer in this siutation, there is no contact information no way for me to ask them to pay the fees and they also claimed to be me using my name

Thirdly it was all done automatically by the malicious party making the transaction and then chargeback again there was no option for me to say I wanted them to pay the fees for the transaction

As you can imagine it is causing me a great deal of stress I don't deal well in  situations where I try to do the right thing and help people and I'm punished for it, and further punished by the unintuitive process, website and staff at paypals end. I will definitely NEVER be doing business with this company or any associated company ever again.

So I thank you for your response but as said, none of this was made available to me it's all been done automatically all I did was phone and say I don't know why this person transferred the money I assume they were hacked and now I'm charged the amount I listed and I can't get through to ANYONE at paypal.

I've called, emailed, filed multiple complaints. All that has been communicated to me is that I have to pay the bill or I will be liable to pursuit from collection agencies.

I even out of frustration tried to pay the bill tonight just so I can focus on something else, but even that didn't work. They want me to provide 3 different types of ID my account is locked due to "suspicious activity", apparently someone sending you money is "suspicious" but it's not suspicious when they request it back and leave my account footing the bill.

If you can't tell I'm out of my mind and at the end of my wits, contacted police, useless said it wasn't fraud despite them using my name and also said it was likely just a mistake, sorry I find it hard to believe someone made 3 transactions in a row mistakenly. 

Like all situations in life you are punished for being honest and trying to help. I'd be better off if I just claimed the God Damn money as my own and spent it! But yeah my bad for doing the right thing! I'll know better in future! 🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@darkoshine 

If you receive a payment then if you click on the transaction the details of the sender are on that details page.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

darkoshine
Contributor
Contributor

Again I appreciate your reply or anyone taking time to involve themself in this, before you read this if you could reply with any contact details to anyone at paypal other than the usual avenues for me to resolve this  I'd greatly appreciate it I can't stress enough how much this is taking a toll on me as you will see if you read what I've wrote below. I just want to resolve it, immediately. 

I have already clicked on the transaction, all that is displayed is a username and my name as they claimed to be me.

I can not contact them at all. And have no details of their bank.

I do not know any details about them and no contact details are provided anywhere on the site, on the transaction itself or anywhere else and the staff have made it clear to me they have no access to any of their information as well, they may as well be anonymous.

To summarize,

No way to contact the person  who made the transaction and subsequent chargeback

Tried every avenue to contact paypal, dead end and radio silence no confirmation e-mails from any of my complaints in the resolution centre or direct messages

Can't complete any of the online resolutions as I don't have access to the information they are asking for to unlock my account

Threatened by member of paypal staff with debt collection agencies and no help with the situation

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply and offering advice but none of the advice given is available for me to use for whatever reason it's hard not to think someone is deliberately making things difficult for me to resolve something I had no part in

I do think it was because I was rude on the phone after being charged and I'm now blacklisted by staff as an aggressive customer.

The only reason I was frustrated is because a member of staff ASSURED me that no fees would be applied and they were.

None of the advice you gave was made clear and the other paypal customer and their bank have basically lumped me with the foot of the bill for their mistake or compromised account.

I see no way to resolve this without intervention from a member of paypal staff and none of them will even allow me to speak to them or get through to the relative department, I was told there was no complaints department etc

I get it I've worked in call centres the last thing you want to do is deal with a difficult customer, but if the customer is being difficult because a FAULT OF THE COMPANY and not a FAULT OF THEIR OWN then digression should be used to correct the issue.

All that needs to be done is to reverse the fees and allow me to close the account. A click of a button really but due to corporate tape and staff incompetence I'm being caused a great amount of stress, I struggle with my mental health and I'm really not equipped to deal with these situations and it takes a great toll on me, as you can see by the amount of essays I am writing about the situation.

I was even willing to jump through the hoops and pay the fee just to be done with this all but I can't even do that because of my account being frozen due to someone else's mistakes.

Again thank you and sorry for how I am responding I just have trouble expressing how difficult this situation is for me and the radio silence on paypals end and the looming threat of debt collection agencies when I can't even contact anyone at paypal to discuss this is making me insane.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @darkoshine,

Thank you for joining our community forum!

Thank you for the help @kernowlass! I want to express our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you’ve experienced. I understand how concerning this can be! In this situation, your best option would be to contacting our team by clicking the contact us option at the bottom of PayPal page or send us a message through our Twitter(@AskPayPal) and Facebook page to get this checked further.

I hope this helps, have a great day!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.