Can't use student account for online payments

Languidiir
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, every time I go on to my account it tells me that I still have to enter my confirmation code, which I'm pretty sure I already did, and then when I enter it again it tells me I don't have permission to view that page. The debit card is clearly activated, because I've made several real-world purchases with it.

However, when I tried to link my student account to iTunes, it said that I didn't have permission to shop online. My mother enabled this on my account, so I tried again. This time, it gives me a more general error: "You don't have permission to complete this action." I have no idea why, since all the appropriate permissions seem to have been granted.

This isn't terribly urgent or anything, I would just rather use my online account to pay for things so that I don't have to go out and buy gift cards. Can anybody help?

Login to Me Too
33 REPLIES 33

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

I know everyone's anxious to have this taken care of, and I am too!  I've been in touch with our engineers about this throughout the season and have been providing them your updated examples. 

While I don't have a specific date that can be provided to you yet, I think we'll have some headway for you in the near future.  As soon as I can confirm a fix, I will let you know.

Thank you again for your patience.

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Turk85
Contributor
Contributor

Any ideas on when this will be fixed?? It seems a company as large as PayPal could get this problem resolved in short order.

Login to Me Too

Filup
New Community Member

I'm having this problem with my sons account. Here's some details just in case your software department does a Kepner Tregoe style problem analysis.

I created an account for my son on September 26th

The last online purchase on his account was October 28th.

He informed me two weeks ago that he was unable to do online purchases

I have been unable to change the "allow online purchases" option for this account for a week

My two daughters have had student accounts for several years. They have not had a problem with their accounts.

It would seem that whatever change occurred happened around the end of October.

Hope this gets resolved soon,

Phil

Login to Me Too

TheRasMeister

Wow. Nov. 15th and this problem still exists?   I can not only enable Online payments but I also cannot re-enable Text for funds on the Student Account.  How the latter ever got turned off is beyond me and was baffling myself and my kid since we had been using it successfully for what seems like close to a year and then whamo a few months ago it simply stopped working.   The Texting "Get" and "Yes" to transfer funds is one of the best features of the Student account IMO.

Hope this all gets resolved soon.... 6+ weeks with such a production issue not addressed is unheard of in the modern online consumer era.

Login to Me Too

woodpicker
Contributor
Contributor

The ongoing issue of not being able to set student permissions, permissions that were in place and suddenly went away, has gone on too long. I have emailed 3 times and called at least twice in the past 5 weeks and still nothing has been done. I see this has been an ongoing problem for MONTHS !!! If I didn't need my account for business I would cancel my account.  I find it unbelievable and irresponsible that PayPal can't resolve this issue. They've got to have someone who can solve this problem.  If they don't, then we all should be very, VERY concerned about potential security issues and risks !

Login to Me Too

knieten
Contributor
Contributor

I agree that this problem has gone on long enough by FAR!  If I had wanted to simply allow my son to use my account for his online purchases, there would have been absolutely no need to create a student account for him!

I have just spent the past 4 hours on Christmas Morning trying to figure out why my son's account isn't working only to find out that none of the newer accounts are apparently working properly.  This needs to be fixed now!

Login to Me Too

elgordo123
New Community Member

I just found out the same thing.  Going to wait until tomorrow to call them though.   That really is bad.  Looks like an ongoing problem that doesn't have  resolution.  Seeing the orginal paypal admin that was helping dropped out of site means it might not be fixed.  

Please fix this asap.

Login to Me Too

jdrabekscheer
New Community Member

this is also happening to me. my student account used to work perfectly, now there is something wrong with paypal gathering the cookies or something to send to the server to be saved. I wish this would be fixed soon considering paypal is a huge company with many coders. I really wish to buy something. What is the point of paypal without being able to buy things online?!?!

Login to Me Too

sierv0

Just one more "me too" to add to the list.  I've had a PayPal account for many years and the student account from the first day or two they were enabled so it's not just new accounts.  I can't change any preferences and haven't been able to do so for several months.  

Is PayPal even listening to this thread any more?

Login to Me Too

Raskovik
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.