Can't use student account for online payments

Languidiir
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, every time I go on to my account it tells me that I still have to enter my confirmation code, which I'm pretty sure I already did, and then when I enter it again it tells me I don't have permission to view that page. The debit card is clearly activated, because I've made several real-world purchases with it.

However, when I tried to link my student account to iTunes, it said that I didn't have permission to shop online. My mother enabled this on my account, so I tried again. This time, it gives me a more general error: "You don't have permission to complete this action." I have no idea why, since all the appropriate permissions seem to have been granted.

This isn't terribly urgent or anything, I would just rather use my online account to pay for things so that I don't have to go out and buy gift cards. Can anybody help?

Login to Me Too
33 REPLIES 33

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Languidiir,

Welcome to the boards!

It's possible your mother may need to double check the permissions; I would also recommend removing the permission and re-adding it.  You might also ask her to see if she can confirm the email address from her accountif you can't when you log in. 

In regards to iTunes, the first step is the permissions above.  But, if you're still receiving this error, you might consider selecting the PayPal card as the funding source for your iTunes account rather than trying to register your PayPal account directly as the source. 

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

MarcelFultz

I tryed to buy something off of this website and i have pleanty of money  in my student account to get it. my dad just set my permissions on and they still say they are off and i need to get this item bad. whats the problem ??

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

I would recommend asking your father to log in again, deselect your settings, then reselect them again.  Please note setting choices must be saved before moving on to a new window.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

MarcelFultz

So my father went on his account i watched him press the save button and turn on my  shop online and send money tabs and he went back to check ro see if the permissons were set and they just go back to use my paypal student card what do we do ?

Login to Me Too

Jeffere
New Community Member

I have changed my son's permission status to be able to shop online.  I save.  But, when I check it - the account permission has reverted to the original.  I followed the advise and deselected all boxes, saved, then reselected the ones I wanted and saved.  Still, it reverts to the original standing.  I see this has happened to another person but there was no repsonse as to what to do.

Help?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello again everyone!

Sorry for the delay in responding - I haven't  been idle in my absence, however.  We took the time to test out this feature and have been in contact with our engineers about the issue you described.  After a few initial tests and confirming the existence of the issue on the live site, I can tell you a few things. 

One, you're right, it's not updating, and it's not you, it's us. Smiley Happy Two, I've made sure our engineers are aware of this and it's something we're looking to fix in the future.  As there is not a workaround available yet, the most I can ask is your patience until we have these buttons hooked back up, so to speak.  In the mean time, I'll make sure our engineers are notified your accounts are affected by this so we can start gathering a larger picture of who's affected and how.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

ChayaChayaChaya
Contributor
Contributor

I wish I had been able to find this specific topic on this specific forum long before now.  I've wasted a lot of time navigating PayPal help, searching PayPal help, using the automated assistant, Google searching, etc.

I set up a student account for my son, who is at his dad's during the week, and have been unable to allow him to purchase online.  This has caused a lot of problems for us-- emails, calls and texts from my distraught son (who feels his purchases are time sensitive, such as his Halloween costume) and if that pressure wasn't enough, my ex has been after me as well, implying that the whole thing has been my fault.  This is our second attempted purchase, and thus my second round of going through all this.  I'll just say it's been a LOT of time and trouble for me.

I realize we're simply talking about buying things online, not global hunger or anything.  But I do wish you'd figured this out much sooner and taken the time to email student accounts that may be affected, like ours, instead of leaving us all struggling and confused.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

ChayaChayaChaya,

I am so sorry to hear about this! Smiley Sad That's a rough spot to be in and I can only imagine the pressure you've been put through because of all of this.  This definitely is not your fault, so if you'd like, feel free give your ex a direct link to this thread and say "see, it's not me."  Here's a shortened, direct link - he'll be able to view the thread even without logging in.

http://bit.ly/n7zkyb

That being said, the most I can offer as a workaround at this time, would be to either make the purchase for them using your own PayPal account, or, if they have a Student Debit Card and the merchant processes cards directly, they could use the card to make the purchase.  This would at least allow you to get them up and running for the time being.

I will make sure the engineers are aware you've been affected as well; at this point, the more examples we can provide to them, the better.

Adrian

Login to Me Too

theonlywayisup
New Community Member

I'm having the same problem. My dad has been trying everyday to change my permissions-so i could purchase online- since the 16th and the problem consists. Adrian, you said you would talk to the "engineers" about this problem a couple of days ago. Although my knowledge of website design is little, its been a couple of days since the problem has been reported and it still isnt fixed? Outrageous. Even to fix (what seems to me) as a little bug takes more than a week to fix, come on! I just missed a sale online >:O!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.