usps form 5630

joeyman
Contributor
Contributor

Just went to post offfice and they said I need to give them a usps form 5630 when shipping multiple packages

where do I find the form to print in the pay pal system

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

bullseyebob

I've been shipping through Paypal for years and for the life of me I can't find a "Multi-Order Shipping" option anywhere. I feel like I have seen it before but now I can't find it. Help please!

Login to Me Too

lamb

thank you for sharing littlegrl187...

I was looking for a print 5630 scan form tab ON the PayPal MultiOrder site. I did not think about looking in the print pop up window  -  I followed your advice and sure enough "Print Scan Form(1Page)" was right in the MIDDLE (left of 'Print Lables" tab) in the print pop up window.

good for you for sharing  -- was about to stick a needle in my eye.

littlegrl187 wrote:

ok, so I figured out how to get the SCAN form and thought I'd pass the info along...

Go to Multi-Order Shipping

Create all you labels that you want to create

Click "Print" to print the labels

Click "Pay & Print"

Once the labels are paid for, the print screen appears

Look NEXT TO the "Print labels (#)" button,  You will see "Print SCAN form" this is the form you need for the post office. this is the 5630 Form.

Click on "Print SCAN form" to print the SCAN form.

anyways, just thought you'd all like to know.

Login to Me Too

Devilmanak
Contributor
Contributor

What this is, is a load of BS. When I was told this today, I said "Well that makes a lot more work for me." to which she replied "It is a lot less work for us." What the &%*&%?? Seriously? How long does it take them to scan an item? I print postage all throughout the day, whenever I have time. Over the weekends it is over three or four days. This stupid form is impossible for me to use, especially if it is not even available when printing postage from individual Ebay/PP payments!   Why do we have to do the USPS' job now? 

I am not happy. We have short/no lines where I live, I think I am going to go in tomorrow with 10-15 packages, all addressed but not postage paid. I will buy the postage from the USPS, and about 10 minutes in to them stamping them, I will say "This is much less work for me." 

Idiots.      

Login to Me Too

ryansdeals
New Community Member

I agree that this is a problem.  I print all my labels individually, not with Multi-Label Shipping.  It helps me keep track of things better.  But I ship 20+ items daily and have a Carrier Pickup, so it is a lot more work for the carrier.  Why can't Paypal link the individually printed labels to the SCAN form?  It could all be done by the date.  Then, you should just be able to highlight the packages you are putting out for pick up or bringing in to the post office,  and then print the form.  It sounds like it could be very easy, but it's not.

Login to Me Too

Devilmanak
Contributor
Contributor

I just cannot believe that:

1) I am doing the USPS' job for them by printing/paying for postage at home.

2) That is not good enough, and they can't take the time to scan each package! (Which they don't, ever since I have moved to where I am now, they haven't scanned one of my packages, they just go right in the bin.)  

I talked with PP about it, they were good/helprul and reinforced that I cannot print a scan form unless using multi-order.

Ad this to the fact that UPS owes me $500 from damaging an itema dn refuses to pay for it, buyers who are unreasonable and dishonest, and Ebay is getting harder and harder to stick with.............  

Login to Me Too

SLW
Contributor
Contributor

My input after reading all the previous posts and based on my interactions with the local branch of my PO and my carrier:

In multi-order shipping, you need to print the SCAN form BEFORE you print the labels. That's why that button is first!

From what I read in other posts, if you forget to print the SCAN form before the labels, you should be able to print it from the "History" section. Needs to be done same day of course, since only good for one day.

If you mess up any labels and don't use them, throw out your original SCAN form, because it won't match up with the actual packages mailed. I think this is where reprinting the SCAN form really comes in handy.

I believe you can probably print labels several times in one day without the scan form, and then when you're done printing ALL labels for items to be mailed in one batch for that mailing date, you could go in to history and print a SCAN form that would capture all of those packages. The number of packages on the SCAN form must match the number of packages handed over to your carrier or the counter clerk.

The post office doesn't refuse to ACCEPT packages if you don't give them a SCAN form, they just (often) refuse to scan in multiple prepaid items and give you a receipt proving they're now in the hands of the USPS. If you put them in a dropbox, or just give them to the counter person they won't  get scanned into the system until they reach 1) the sort facility  (which usually isn't the local branch where you dropped them off) 2) the delivery facility and 3) upon delivery by the carrier with their little scanner.  Ideally, they're scanned at each of these steps, but sometimes they're not scanned until the carrier delivers it. They say this is acceptable because it's called 'DELIVERY Confirmation', but I think that's bogus, because it's also called 'TRACKING' so you can track it along the way.

At my local branch I was told they can refuse to scan in multiple packages individually because they are individual profit centers and if you have prepaid the postage online, they get no credit for the sale, but they still have the work of scanning in multiple packages. I'm working hard at not going off on a rant at what lousy customer service this is, and since they offer the SCAN form as an alternative, I can understand their point. (Unfortunately, the woman at the PO giving me a hard time about scanning in my multiple items never even told me a SCAN form existed, so shame on her OR the poor training she was given by the PO).

The reason having your items scanned when you take them to the PO or give them to your carrier is to protect YOU and get proof that they are in the system so that if they are later lost or not delivered, you have proof that it was lost after it entered the system, otherwise they'll question whether or not you really mailed it. You will never have this proof if you put your items in a dropbox, or hand them to a carrier, or a counter clerk without having them scanned. I asked the clerk at my local branch what happens if I pay for insurance online, and then put it in the drop box but it gets lost or pilfered before it is scanned into the system and she said, "You're up a creek without a paddle."  She was nice enough to scan in my individual packages three or four times when I first began selling, but gave me a progressively harder time about it each time. That's when I went online and researched it and found out about the SCAN form myself. And think about it from the USPS viewpoint: of course they won't honor an insurance claim for something where the postage and insurance were paid for online: a dishonest person could process a shipment online for a large dollar amount, insure it, never mail it, and then claim it was lost so they could collect the insurance. Forget that it would be mail fraud and you'd probably end up in federal prison... that wouldn't stop some folks from trying!

I think I'm done! I have spent a lot of time on this issue since I began selling online a few months ago. I have learned that many employees at the post office have no clue when it comes to how online shipping works. They are not given training about how it works. The first time I asked my mail carrier to scan the SCAN form, she had no clue what I was talking about and said she'd never been asked to do it before. We muddled through together and it worked fine. (Please note, if you have your carrier scan it, the information will not show up in the system until much later in the day after they've returned to the PO and downloaded the information in their scanner into the system.) She's a great carrier, and laughed about it saying, "Look at you having to teach me how to do my job!"

Login to Me Too

postalchart_com
Contributor
Contributor

@SLW wrote:

If you mess up any labels and don't use them, throw out your original SCAN form, because it won't match up with the actual packages mailed. I think this is where reprinting the SCAN form really comes in handy.

If you reprint the SCAN form, it will still be attached with the labels you did not use, and it will still make those labels nonrefundable.

The best policy is do not print any shipping labels until you are sure you are going to mail them and that the information is correct. I have never needed to void a label.

Login to Me Too

SLW
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I should have said: "If you mess up any of your labels, VOID those labels, print any new/replacement labels, and THEN reprint the SCAN form."

Wouldn't this mean the SCAN form would no longer pick up the bad label that was voided, and would include the new label that had been printed to replace it? If you reprinted before voiding the bad label you didn't use, the item count would also be off, which would be a tip-off that something was wrong.

I'm also under the impression that you are able to print more than one batch of labels for a specific shipment date; for example three the night before dated the next day, three the morning of mailing, and two in the afternoon of the day you will mail them, and then you should be able to go to history and print the SCAN form for that mailing date and it will say that there are eight packages associated with the SCAN form. Do you know if this is (or isn't) the way it works? I've never tried it myself. Three packages in one shipment is a great day for me! Smiley Happy

I wish the SCAN form had an itemized listing so you could have a printed record of the tracking numbers associated with that SCAN form.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi mylexint,

Are you using MultiOrder Shipping to print multiple labels? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but you actually can use it to print labels one at a time, too, so I figured I'd check. 🙂

If you've printed multiple labels, there will then be an option to print the form afterward. If there is no option to print the form, there was no scan form created. I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Overworked
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal_Olivia wrote:

Welcome to the forums, joeyman and kcook1!

When you print labels using MultiOrder Shipping through PayPal, a PS Form 5630, Shipment Confirmation Acceptance Notice - also called the SCAN form - is created at the end of the transaction. You'll have the option to print this form after printing the labels. The form's barcode covers all the packages in the shipment. The form won't print for individual labels, just MultiOrder Shipping labels.

A scan form is optional. The post office may be requesting it because it makes the process easier, but it's not required to mail multiple packages.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Although you said form 5630 is not required, my Post Office informed me today (Feb. 11, 2011), I had to bring form 5630 when I bring more than 1 package in for shipping, otherwise they would not accept my packages.(as if it was not hard enough to ship anything at the Post Office)

I wonder if Post Office procedures are different according to district and management?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.