eBay Keeps asking for me to add a credit card when I have two on file with PayPal? How can I pay?!

RDKpaid
Contributor
Contributor

This is driving me up the wall.  I have bought MANY THINGS ON EBay and never had a problem before, but all the sudden about a month ago, when I go to pay for an item it asks me to add a credit card to my PayPal file as if I never had one there!!  What the heck?  So I added my card, hit continue, and it goes back to that screen!!  I have done it over and over for hours with getting nowhere, so I went to my PayPal account directly.  Sure enough, my cards are still there.  I removed them both, added my first one manually and went to pay on ebay again.  What do you know, it worked again!!  For a month or two...

Fast forward to today, I'm paying for an item and sure enough, it asks me for my credit card again!!  What gives man?!  No, my credit cards aren't expired (they don't for another 2 years), no they are NOT voided or whatever (I use them for small purchases), and NO they ARE NOT overdraft!!  So why does eBay keep pestering me with entering my credit card info to pay?

Anyway, I did the same thing as before; I tried for about 20 minutes with the stupid screen refreshing and me having to ender card data again, I went to PayPal, checked to see 2 cards still there (as I added another later), and removed them both.  I then added the first one AGAIN and went to pay for my eBay item, no problems.  I did a batch buy, however, and it only allowed me to pay for the first item!!  I checked my records on PayPal, sure enough only one buy went through, and so I went back thinking it was a mistake to pay for the others again.

After getting to the "login to PayPal" section again, I see that, what do you know, eBay wants my credit card info AGAIN!!!!  I'm egtting tired of this.  It wasn't even 56 minutes between two purchases and they're saying I never had a credit card on file once more.

What's the problem here?  Am I overlooking something simple?  Is eBay taking my credit cards and giving them away to the endless abyss of Al Gore's ketchup-covered internet?  Am I a victim of countless credit card fraud, even though I check up on my cards almost daily?  Does PayPal just hate me and want me to never buy again on eBay?  Is the end of the world near as PayPal and eBay become more and more corrupted in their endless greed?!?!

Thanks for the help 🙂

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

RDKpaid
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for keeping this topic alive guys!  We need to let PayPal and eBay know that they have a serious problem here that needs to get fixed.

Everyone should give this thread a big thumbs up (click on thumbs up icon in my original post) so that it gets pushed to the top of the forum and gets looked into sooner than later!

Login to Me Too

Jtb00
Contributor
Contributor

@RDKpaid wrote:

Thanks for keeping this topic alive guys!  We need to let PayPal and eBay know that they have a serious problem here that needs to get fixed.

Everyone should give this thread a big thumbs up (click on thumbs up icon in my original post) so that it gets pushed to the top of the forum and gets looked into sooner than later!

I just clicked the thumbs-up icon, RDK. I agree with you - the more attention this topic gets, the better!

I strongly suggest that everyone having issues take the time to actually call Paypal and speak with a service rep. They might not be able to help, but at least it will go on record that there people are having major problems. I had the impression that the phone calls get taken more seriously and get more attention than the emails.

The service rep did say that all the calls are recorded and that she was going to "escalate" my case so that someone higher on the totem pole would hear it and be able to address it.

Login to Me Too

silverchakra
Contributor
Contributor

I read this after I sent my post asking what more we could do. So, I'll call and report my story. I thought maybe the calls get more credence then the emails. Thanks!

Login to Me Too

RDKpaid
Contributor
Contributor

Great idea guys!!  Let's all call PayPal and get this problem escalated as much as possible!!  If any of you are registered with any other online forums, be sure to start a thread in general discussion (or wherever appropriate) and get others who are having the problem jump in as well!!

Does anyone know the department/extension/number/who to talk to that we should call?  If we target a select group of workers (or higher employee) that will help us to give them the feel of the common issue and importance of the topic!!

Don't forget to thumbs up everyone, this is IMPORTANT!!!  And add tags in your posts that you think others would be searching for to find this topic (located below Attachments when posting).

Login to Me Too

Jtb00
Contributor
Contributor

Hi RDK (and everyone),

I am further convinced that calling will be more helpful than emailing ,because in addition to talking to a real live human being, callers also receive a survey asking them to rate their experience. As I said before, my problem wasn't resolved in that call but the survey gives you yet another opportunity to tell them what you think.

Incidentally, Paypal is working for me again - I tried making that eBay payment, just on the off chance that it would work, and the payment went through right away. This COULD be a coincidence, but I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the issue has been fixed and I won't have to deal with this again (and if I do, I'll report back here)..

Bear in mind that I did transfer money from bank account on Friday, right after all this happened. The money hasn't been deposited into PP from my bank account yet, but it's showing up as "processing". So I guess I'll have to try it again later and see if I can still make spontaneous instant payments without any pending deposits.

One of the questions from the survey is "would you recommend Paypal to friends or family?" and if you click "no", they ask you why not, and provide a comment box. Here is my reply:

There is apparently a Paypal glitch that is preventing me from making instant payments on eBay, or using it in an online shopping cart. I've been linked to the same bank account and have been a verified user since 2000, and I've had the same credit card on file for at least a year and a half. That I now suddenly can't use Paypal at all without first adding funds from my bank account makes it all but useless to me. In fact, not only is it of little use, but it's actually a big hassle to use, and since Paypal seems utterly clueless about the what the problem is and completely unable to fix it, that further reduces my confidence in Paypal as a safe way of sending or receiving money.

This payment glitch is happening to several people (as noted on the Paypal forum), and Paypal, as well as several vendors I know who only accept Paypal payments, will be losing my business unless this is resolved soon.

I had already said much of this to the customer service rep, but Paypal DOES review these surveys, so you get another opportunity to drive the point home.  Calling them really does give you an advantage over emailing.

I suspect that each individual account has to be "fixed", by the way, as opposed to a blanket change that will fix the problem for everyone (a blanket change might prevent it from happening to others, but I think each account has to be taken care of individually). So, calling them is the best way to make sure they're giving attention to your specific account.

Good luck everyone!

Login to Me Too

silverchakra
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update and I'm glad yours seems to be working now! I'm not sure if I'll have a chance to call today but I will tomorrow. It seems from reading the other posts that either you can't send an instant payment or you can't send an echeck (my situation) without adding a credit card then even if you already have a credit card added it didn't work! This entire thing has been a hassle and I hope with all of us calling and doing the survey it will be resolved for everyone soon!

Login to Me Too

silverchakra
Contributor
Contributor

I did the thumbs up thing. I am not familiar with how this forum works but I could figure that out-lol! This entire issue is ridiculous! Why are they not addressing this issue? I'm not new to Paypal but I'm new to problems with Paypal. So, how can we bring this to the attention of someone who can actually do something to fix it? Obviously, the help desk people can't do it and they don't even know what the issue is! What else can we do? There has to be a process to reach TPTB! (the powers that be) I would think they would want to fix an issue that is causing such problems for many of their customers. If there is something more to be done let me know and I'll do my part!

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

purplecat215
New Community Member

This is happening to us too. What is wrong with Paypal these days? Makes us lose confidence in their security and their ability to do business. Paypal, do you read your own forums???!!!!

Login to Me Too

pianonana
Contributor
Contributor

My solution was to stop usinng Paypal entirely a few months ago,  I was a frequent Ebay shopper, always used Paypal, but not any more.  My account was on file, verified, and I used it regularly....that is, until the incessant message telling me to "add my credit card".  What a mess.

Login to Me Too

ohiolighthouse
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having the same problem.  When I call paypal about it.  I get some lame answers such as

--you can't pay it that way if your trying to purchase a buy it now product...BULL done it a million times!

--just have the seller send you and invoice and pay it that way (huh?!?!)

I was so frustrated I hung up on the ding bat!

hopefully this is resolved soon or I will just delete my whole account!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.