eBay Keeps asking for me to add a credit card when I have two on file with PayPal? How can I pay?!

RDKpaid
Contributor
Contributor

This is driving me up the wall.  I have bought MANY THINGS ON EBay and never had a problem before, but all the sudden about a month ago, when I go to pay for an item it asks me to add a credit card to my PayPal file as if I never had one there!!  What the heck?  So I added my card, hit continue, and it goes back to that screen!!  I have done it over and over for hours with getting nowhere, so I went to my PayPal account directly.  Sure enough, my cards are still there.  I removed them both, added my first one manually and went to pay on ebay again.  What do you know, it worked again!!  For a month or two...

Fast forward to today, I'm paying for an item and sure enough, it asks me for my credit card again!!  What gives man?!  No, my credit cards aren't expired (they don't for another 2 years), no they are NOT voided or whatever (I use them for small purchases), and NO they ARE NOT overdraft!!  So why does eBay keep pestering me with entering my credit card info to pay?

Anyway, I did the same thing as before; I tried for about 20 minutes with the stupid screen refreshing and me having to ender card data again, I went to PayPal, checked to see 2 cards still there (as I added another later), and removed them both.  I then added the first one AGAIN and went to pay for my eBay item, no problems.  I did a batch buy, however, and it only allowed me to pay for the first item!!  I checked my records on PayPal, sure enough only one buy went through, and so I went back thinking it was a mistake to pay for the others again.

After getting to the "login to PayPal" section again, I see that, what do you know, eBay wants my credit card info AGAIN!!!!  I'm egtting tired of this.  It wasn't even 56 minutes between two purchases and they're saying I never had a credit card on file once more.

What's the problem here?  Am I overlooking something simple?  Is eBay taking my credit cards and giving them away to the endless abyss of Al Gore's ketchup-covered internet?  Am I a victim of countless credit card fraud, even though I check up on my cards almost daily?  Does PayPal just hate me and want me to never buy again on eBay?  Is the end of the world near as PayPal and eBay become more and more corrupted in their endless greed?!?!

Thanks for the help 🙂

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Do you have a verified bank account attached to your Paypal account?

I'm wondering if that sets off the CC warning.

Login to Me Too

silverchakra
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! I'm sorry I can't help you, but I'm having a similar problem! I always  make payments from my business bank account for making purchases by echeck with no problems. Last night when I tried to check out I got a message saying a credit card needed to be added to make an instant payment.  I was not making an instant payment but an echeck!  I thought maybe the merchant only accepted instants but not true. They had no idea what the problem was. My account is verified so I don't know what the deal is!  I tried using that automated "Sarah" help and that was a joke! So I sent an email and have to wait  72 hours! The problem with that is, half the items I was purchasing will be sold out by then if they aren't already! This is very frustrating! Also, the day before I was trying to use my other paypal account to make a purchase with a credit card and it would freeze up and never even complete the transaction! What is going on with Paypal?!!!!!  I certainly understand your frustration! I hope you have resolved your problem by now.

Login to Me Too

RDKpaid
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to the goons at PP and eBay, my problem is still around!  Yes, I am (and have been for years) Verified, so that isn't the problem.

The weird thing now is it's randomly doing this to me now!!  I just paid for a couple items I bought last week with no problem, and then later today I bought something else and it's asking for a credit card again!!  What's the deal?!  How are people with Buy It Now on an instant payment only going to pay for their stuff (such as the poster above me)?  Oh yeah, they won't!!  Then, like the poor guy above me, they will not get the problem resolved and someone else will buy what they were looking for.

Good job at **bleep**ing up, PayPal and eBay.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Another poster has reported that this is a glitch and Paypal is trying to figure out what is causing it.

Login to Me Too

MiniChop
New Community Member

I feel your pain...got the same issue too. I don't know what they think they're doing but it's making me want to abandon eBay, and I've been on it since 2001! Thanks for bringing this to their attention...at least I hope they're smart enough to monitor their own community boards!  Thought I was the only one they were jacking up...

Login to Me Too

ideeaal007
Contributor
Contributor
I'm having the same problem. Every time I attempt to pay for a buy it now item it refuses to allow me to sign on to paypal even though I can sign on to it independently. I've been using eBay and PayPal for eBay and non-eBay purchases for a number of years but I've spent the better part of the day trying to buy and pay several presents with absolutely ZERO success so needless to say I'm quite frustrated. I also don't understand why PayPal is forcing me to enter checking/savings account information when they already have my cc information on file??! I mean what if you don't have a bank account OR feel uncomfortable with a 1 company having so much information/access to all of your financial information?? If this continues to be a problem I'm going to think twice before buying on ebay or using PayPal in the future. Not worth the headache if I can go to Amazon etc and complete the whole transaction in less than 5 minutes.
Login to Me Too

RDKpaid
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for letting me know this is a larger problem than just for me lol!!

Here's what I started to do for a temporary work-around (and sellers are not happy about waiting so long)

1. Go to PayPal and transfer money from bank account (I REALLY don't want to do this, but I have to! 😞 )
2. Tell seller it's going to take about 5 days to get the money because of error (give them this link so they know you're not lying)
3. When funds arrive 5 days later, pay for item

Sellers hate waiting so long, but they have to for PayPal's bug.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!!!!  And let us know when you do on this thread PayPal!!

Login to Me Too

silverchakra
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions! You know, if this is happening to those of us writing here it's happening to many more people! I wrote Paypal and the response I received was to have the merchant send me an invoice then pay by echeck. Which is what I ended up doing and by that time several of the items I wanted were sold out. These were vintage items that they don't just get another truckload of next week!! The paypal person said some merchants aren't set up to take echeck only instant transactions but this merchant WAS set to take echeck and they even checked their settings for me! So, I wrote the paypal person back and told them I would have them send an invoice but that still didn't answer why it was happening in the first place! The next response just skirted that issue and ended with the inevitable "remember we're always here to help whenever you need us"! I want this fixed AND I want to know why it is doing this in the first place. If they can't tell me that then to me that means even if they manage to fix it, it could happen again because they really don't know what caused it! Grrrr... And so it goes....

Login to Me Too

Jtb00
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks,

Add me to the long list of people having similar payment issues on Paypal.

I went to make a payment two days ago (not an eBay transaction) and got an error message, but I assumed it was a fluke and didn't think much of it.

Yesterday, I used the "buy it now" option to make an eBay purchase and I was surprised to see Paypal asking me for a CC number. Like most who have posted here, I already have one on file (same one I've had linked with my Paypal account for two years and it doesn't expire until 2012, and it's well under the limit), and my account's been linked to my bank account and verified for almost 10 years.

I did put my credit card information in anyway, thinking it was a glitch, but I received a message that said "Paypal already has this card on file".....(so why the heck won't they use it?!)  I called Paypal and the girl I spoke with was very polite and really TRIED to help, but she had no idea what was going on. I also wrote the eBay vendor and asked for their patience while I wait for the bank transfer to finalize (transferring money directly from my bank is now the only way I can use Paypal).

There are more and more vendors now - eBay and otherwise - who ONLY accept payments through Paypal.

If Paypal doesn't fix this, those vendors and Paypal will be losing a whole lot of business, including mine.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.