'Transaction amount is greater than your available PayPal balance' when it's not

tommythethumb
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to make a purchase through Steam using my PayPal account. When I log into PayPal it gives me the message in the subject and asks me to add a credit card to complete the transaction. I have more than enough in my balance to cover the transaction. I have also completed a few purchases in the past through Steam and have not had this problem with PayPal. Finally, I am not over any kind of spending limit. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

tommythethumb
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone is having a similar problem, I received a reply from Steam that explains my problem:

"Thank you for contacting Steam Support. The full price of the game is attempting to be authorized for the transaction, where then only the discount price will actually be charged. Please ensure that there are enough funds available for the full price of the game and attempt your purchase again."

So while I find it very strange that they would do it that way, they are attempting to authorize $39.99 while planning to only charge $9.99.

Figured I'd reply to show this wasn't a PayPal problem and instead a Steam issue.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I think the system is telling you what the problem is - it wants you to add a credit card.

You'll probably have to do that to make any more purchases.

You should be using a credit card anyway for online purchases - paypal does not provide buyer protection for "not as described" situations for non-ebay purchases, you have to get that protection from a credit card.

Login to Me Too

tommythethumb
Contributor
Contributor

I would believe that if the first thing on the page wasn't "Transaction amount is greater than your available PayPal balance." If that statement wasn't incorrect then I would understand it. Or if it would have asked me to add a card anytime during my last 15 or so purchases. But the basis of the error page is telling me something that isn't true. Therefore I don't buy the reasoning for adding a card.

Thanks for the reply anyway. I'll wait to hear from PayPal.

Login to Me Too
Solved

tommythethumb
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone is having a similar problem, I received a reply from Steam that explains my problem:

"Thank you for contacting Steam Support. The full price of the game is attempting to be authorized for the transaction, where then only the discount price will actually be charged. Please ensure that there are enough funds available for the full price of the game and attempt your purchase again."

So while I find it very strange that they would do it that way, they are attempting to authorize $39.99 while planning to only charge $9.99.

Figured I'd reply to show this wasn't a PayPal problem and instead a Steam issue.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Yeah - about that?

Computers lie when they get stressed.

I have reason to believe that Paypal's servers are stressed right now.

But perhaps paypal can come up with another answer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.