Unexplained fee deducted from payment

runhoney
Contributor
Contributor

On 9/8 I was sent a payment for some work I did. I have done work for the same company in the past, and never had any problems in getting paid, and was never charged any fees, despite the payments being in either AUD or USD (I am in the UK). This time I had to manually accept or refuse the payment. As I wasn't expecting this and didn't read the email properly, I failed to click the "accept" button. On 2/9, I was informed my payment had been cancelled and returned back to the sender. I contacted them, and they said they would resend it. I received this re-sent payment yesterday, and this time clicked to "accept" it. For some reason though, a fee of approximately 6% has been deducted by Paypal. Looking back at the original payment from 9/8, there was no fee charged that time. I have contacted the company again, and they say there should NOT have been a fee to receive my money, and have told me to contact Paypal. Just trying to understand why this fee has been applied. The only explanation I can come up with is the fact that the payment had to be re-sent. Also, the original payment was accidentally sent to the wrong address (I then added that additional address to my account), but sent to the correct address this time at my request.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi @runhoney,

Apologies for the delay. There is always a fee to receive a payment for 'Goods/Services'. It is possible the first payment you mentioned was sent as a personal payment. You can check the breakdown of any fees you have been charged by clicking 'details' next to the payment. Generally it is 3.4% + 20p to receive a commercial payment. Also, you mentioned that you 'Accepted' the payment which sounds like the currency it was sent in was different to the currency you hold with PayPal. There would be an additional cross border fee of up to 1.5%. I am sorry you were not aware of this, you should find all of the information you need on our fee structure Here.

Additionally, you mentioned you were unable to speak with us. Here's our freephone number if you need urgent help going forward 0800 358 7911. I hope this clarifies things.

Siobhán

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.