How do I change my default payment method to credit card?

JonnyJonny
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

My default payment method is bank account transfer. How do I change my account so it defaults to my credit card? I realise bank account transfer is cheaper for PayPal so they probably don't want to encourage this..... Ideally I don't want to delete my bank account.

All the best

Login to Me Too
114 REPLIES 114

maxboy
New Community Member

i seem to have two accounts i for got my first account pass word so i set up another account but it will not let me use my card

Login to Me Too

boa12
New Community Member

Yeah!  Why does Paypal make it so difficult for us to change our default credit card; & , to choose the card to use with each transaction?!!   

Aren't Paypal supposed to be like smart marketing & tech people?  Looks like another computer nerd disconnect with the real world!

Bye Paypal!   May have to also sell my eBay stock!!

Login to Me Too

Dogmatix01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

My payment has always been direct from my bank account and my primary source is set as my bank account but anything I've paid over the last week has been taken from my credit card. When I try to change the payment method to my bank account it wants to send the payment as an e-cheque. Why is this happening?  Smiley Mad

I'm not at all happy about this. Others have the same problem, I'm not alone.

Login to Me Too

Neil-M
Contributor
Contributor

Why can I not change the default payment method to credit card?  The bank account (which needed to be verified as I was approaching my sending limit) is now the default payment method which I do not want. This is a business account and I most certainly do not want any funds taken from it.

Neil

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

The default payment methods paypal use are

1. Paypal balance

2. Bank account

3. credit or debit card.

However if you click on "other funding sources" during the payment process you can change it to your credit card on a transaction by transaction basis.

Or failing that remove your bank account if you are not a seller and don't need it to transfer payments from buyers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

youngstreet
Contributor
Contributor

Being able to change credit card payment to your default payment method seems like a pretty important feature.  There are obviously a whole host of reasons why a customer would want to pay with his credit card than doing a bank transfer.  

This forces most customers to have to make an extra step and probably confuses a lot of other customers who were unaware that bank transfer is the default.

Might I suggest this feature in a future update?  For those who complete a lot of transactions, they may prefer to remove their banking information altogether if this feature isn't included.

Login to Me Too

MOHself

I'm trying to do that when I'm Opening account.  It asks me how I want to pay.  I say credit card.  It asks for all that relevant info and then press to continue.  Then it asks me for my checking or savings account information.  I don't want to give that out, but if I don't I can't go any further.

I'm very frustrated whenever I try to do anything that involves PayPal.

I'm trying to make donations to non-profit charitable organisations and I get stuck every time, even when it seems to be giving me a choice of not using PayPal.  It seems almost sinister.

Login to Me Too

pygmypress
New Community Member

For this reason, and when they stopped the money market thing, I decided recently to close my PP account. But lo! Apparently it can't be closed! Be aware that if you chose your bank account as a payment method, and you take your money out of PP and there is a zero balance, PP will go in anyway and take money out of your bank account without your authorization. In other words, Joe Blow may send an invoice to PP for services never rendered to you; nevertheless, PP will pay it! I have no doubt they have buried this information in the incomprehensible legaleze of the T&C, where very few people will read or understand it.

For this reason, I will never buy anything from eBay again, and if PP does not immediately close my account I will file a Ripoff Report against them.

Login to Me Too

candyconundrum
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an OLD thread, but it's still relevant to me.  Right now, I have my PayPal account first (ie; when I buy stuff it takes it from my paypal account).  If I don't have money in there and a payment goes through, it uses my bank account money.  I want to ADD a savings account, but it looks like if I do that, it will default the savings instead of the paypal account.  Is this correct or will it still be PayPal account then Checking then Savings?  I'm just trying to figure out a plan of action!

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Bugsy_JKST
New Community Member

@PayPal_lucy wrote:

Hey there JonnyJonny,

The bank account will always be used before the card unless your specifically pick your card when making payment.

There is no way to set your card as the default primary funding source.

This is really frustrating!  It does not change my behaviour because I always go in and change to credit card instead of bank/debit card when making a transaction and I just end up being annoyed at the unnecessary extra steps.

Cheers

JKST

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.