How do I change my default payment method to credit card?

JonnyJonny
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

My default payment method is bank account transfer. How do I change my account so it defaults to my credit card? I realise bank account transfer is cheaper for PayPal so they probably don't want to encourage this..... Ideally I don't want to delete my bank account.

All the best

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

GrandpaLarry777
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

I have yet to find a way to easily change the default payment to a credit card but if you are concerned about your bank account being directly linked to your PayPal account, you can do what I did...Remove your bank account.

Here are the steps I took.

1.  When you are in your PayPal account, click Profile toward the top of the page

2.  Be sure your have a "Confirmed" credit card registered at PayPal

3.  In the box on the click the My Money link

4.  Click Update in the Bank Account area

5.  Click the Remove button at the bottom of the Bank Account page

Once you get through any warning messages and the page that prompts you to register a Bank Account the default payment method will switch your "default" credit card account.

You should receive confirmation email about the change.

Hope this helps...BTW, it isn't that I distrust PayPal, it's just putting another layer of security between me and anyone who might hack them.

GrandpaLarry777

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
114 REPLIES 114

PayPal_lucy

Hey there JonnyJonny,

The bank account will always be used before the card unless your specifically pick your card when making payment.

There is no way to set your card as the default primary funding source.

Login to Me Too

fireinthehole
New Community Member

Hi...I have always used my credit card as the primary account....but now I need to change some details as I stopped that particular card so.....can you tell me me how to reload new card details?

Login to Me Too

Galamorfry
New Community Member

I have a new credit card,  and want to change the number on my pay pal account ,  how?

Login to Me Too

dogzbodi
New Community Member

bigles151
New Community Member

ulster bank ltd     visacard

Login to Me Too

Meche
How do I change my debit card details when i can only log in from my IPhone, it's telling me to verify by taking 2 small payments out of my acc. and my card details t get through to my acc. will no longer work.
Login to Me Too

spanner112
New Community Member

I had my previous credit or visa card stolen in Athens and changed it same day. I now want to log into paypal with my new credit card details. R.C.Spanswick

Login to Me Too

mark-and-nikki
New Community Member

Derwoo
New Community Member

My debit card was recently "compromised", and I now have a replacement card. I need to change the information in my paypal account so that I can continue to use the service. I'm not stupid, but I'm not computer savvy either. Can someone help please?

Derwoo.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.