case opened too early

brynsmum
Contributor
Contributor

a buyer has opened a paypal case for non receipt of an item that is saying due by april 9th.it is april 5th so how can this be allowed and what can i do?i didnt realise a case could be opened through paypal,i thought it had to go through ebay.parcel was sent to poland and i have proof of posting but i cannot claim from royal mail until 20 days after delucery due date .i have explained this to buyer but has done nothing but moan at me.this has put me off selling abroad.what should i do?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brynsmum

You would lose any dispute for non receipt of item if you only have proof of postage.

But if you have a tracking number then you would win once it showed the item as delivered.

A buyer can open a dispute normally 7 days post payment BUT once escalated to a claim paypal allow you another 10 days (sometimes more if it is international), so if your item is due for delivery on the 9th then that should be ok AS LONG AS your tracking number proves that.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

brynsmum
Contributor
Contributor
Thankyou for your help.i have no tracking number as he said I was charging too much postage,despite only adding 90p for packaging,so I went for the cheapest option.ive sold on ebay for 10 years and never had to deal with such a nasty person.telling me to remove items packaging to save on postage,but wrap well.telling me how much postage to charge.being so rude.im not even sure if he will admit if item turns up.so I'll be forced by PayPal to refund him,then I'll have to wait to claim it back off royal mail.this is so wrong.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brynsmum

Tracking is for your protection and not the buyers so if you list an auction and postage costs with tracking then when the buyer bids he accepts that postage cost.

I would never allow a buyer to dictate terms, if they don't like my auction and terms then don't bid.

If they bid and later ask me to reduce postage I just refund them and say ''bye''.

If you did not send trackable then the most you will get from RM is probably a few stamps if you are lucky.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

brynsmum
Contributor
Contributor
Thankyou for your reply.ive lost all trust in overseas buyers I'm sorry to say.i shall only be selling to UK buyers from now on.i feel like I've been taken for a ride!never mind,lesson learnt.will be ringing PayPal shortly as not sure what to do next.parcel still has time to arrive but buyer might deny receipt.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brynsmum

Paypal will tell you exactly what we tell you.

No tracking number that proves delivery of the item to the buyer means that you will lose the dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

brynsmum
Contributor
Contributor

i rang paypal this morning,they asked me to send proof of postage receipt photo in and ring back on 10th in the hopes that buyer has received the item.so ive sent photo in of receipt and now just have to wait til 10th.hopefully buyer will be honest when item turns up.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.