Payment on hold

dkfinsbury
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I have received a payment in my account, but it says "on hold'. Can anyone tell me what this means and how I get it cleared please? This is the first payment I've ever received.
Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dkfinsbury

Ebay sale or not?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dkfinsbury
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, ebay sale.
Login to Me Too

Dot27
Contributor
Contributor

It means that "wonderful" people from paypal are holding your money so they can make a little interest on it. Just happened to me, you cannot do anything about it, unless you will take them to court (i am in process of doing it). They are apparently "based" outside of UK/EU so they think the UK consumer LAW does not apply to them. I guess they have already charged and took fee from the total amount that was paid to you? Best thing to do, call them and see if one of these "helpful" people can do something about it.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dot27

Wrong.

@dkfinsbury

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and have 2 separate policies for holding funds for new sellers.
If yours was an Ebay transaction then its an Ebay hold and Ebay authorise when paypal can release the funds.
This is the new seller hold that every single seller on Ebay has or will go through.
Normally for the Ebay hold funds are released when tracking shows the item as delivered + 3 days if you use Ebay / paypal postage.

Info in this Ebay link below about Ebays hold.
https://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sr?query=1746

If you sell off-Ebay then say so and I will post Paypals policy for their holds.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Dot27
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

How am i wrong? Then answer the questions:

1. How can paypal HOLD my money at the same take their part of fees?(ebay said they released the funds)

2. How can i pay for the VERY expensive postage (special delivery, insured etc etc) if i dont have this money?????

3. How you claim rights to my money by saying that this is "for security reasons", "to protect buyers" etc? Why my money from sale have to depend on buyer????

4. Am i going to get my INTEREST back on the funds you have kept for almost one month?! 

Tell me how come eBay is saying that the funds are clear on paypal from their side but you are holding my funds for 21 days!!!?

And for your own info : It is illegal to withhold funds for no reason, under the guide of "protection".

I know that from previous posts of youes you were saying that you dont work for paypal which is an absolute lie.  You are lying, and your company lies. 

P.S My 100% score on ebay had never dropped and a buyers already left 5* review (still no money) therfore "rules" like "you have to have 100% positive feedback" and "you need a 5 star review from buyer" dont apply to this matter. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dot27

1. Because it states they can in both Ebay and Paypals user agreement....which has been approved by the FSA in the UK.

2. You should have thought about that before listing your item for sale, the first time you list an item it tells you that you may be subject to the new seller hold. You can also be put back on it for other reasons but you would have to ask Ebay about that one.

3. I don't claim anything as I don't hold your money do i ....LOL.

However when a buyer pays a seller it is NEVER instant > paypal credit the seller and then paypal take the wait for the buyers funds to play catch-up. BUT for new sellers they put the funds on 'hold' until that seller has built up a reasonable selling record that reduces risk to Paypal.

4. Eerrrr no because I don't have your money do I?? As for interest, are you going to pay paypal interest on all the CREDITED funds that they give you before the buyers funds clear in the future?

Stop saying its illegal that is ridiculous, if you don't agree to the new seller hold thats fine, you don't have to, a lot don't, but you agreed to it when you opened your Ebay and Paypal accounts.

EVERY single seller on Ebay has gone through the 'new seller hold' you rarely wait for 21 days, in fact I rarely waited more than a week as I sent everything trackable and the hold itself does not last for that long. I didn't 'like' it but I understood why.

Most sellers accept that or there would not be so many of them selling on Ebay.

And no I don't work for Paypal, I am an Ebay seller that helps out on here AND I have a real life job as well. Only the mods work for paypal.

But are you sure you want to accuse me of working for Paypal on this public board? If so then I will certainly do something about that.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Dot27
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

You know, it is so funny how you turn my questions around. 

First, as you claim you know PayPal and their rules well by giving people advice, and because (as usual) you are the first to reply and abuse people, therefore that is why i have addressed this questions to yourself. 

Listen, this is not even about PP rules etc but about PEOPLE. It is about people who for example have start up businesses and need the cash flow. It is about their ability to sell and BUY products.

Imagine when you sell stock for about £3000 pounds, this funds meant to cover your new product. If you dont have this money how on earth will you get new stock? 

Tell me, how fair is withholding money if you have already SENT the item, when the item is already in USE? How fair is that?

Why PayPal will take their fees when money apparently is still PENDING? 

Why we dont have power over our funds? Why we cannot DO WHATEVER we wont with our money? 

I am not asking you to paste links to threads which i already read about 100 of times. I asked for questions, which you cannot answer. 

Oh and man, stop thretening me of "doing someting about that"because I am not scared. Youre a free man and you do whatever you think is best - funny enough this is why i am saying what im saying. 

You have a real life job? GOOD FOR YOU! (i thought you spend 23h a day on here 🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dkfinsbury

So having a different opinon is abuse is it?

And yes I am often the first to reply as NO ONE ELSE rarely does answer and if I can help someone from being scammed by posting promptly then yes I will.

How many have you saved from being scammed??

As for your point about new stock etc, I saved for ages to be able to set myself up with a 'small' business. I also saved up and borrowed money for postage etc so that when I started I was 'all set'. After all a bricks and morter shop in the high street does not wait for customers money from sales AND THEN starts stocking the item to sell !!!!!

If you think its unfair then don't use Paypal, use cash on collection or whatever you want. They have to have some safety measures in place before they start credited you the buyers money. The hold only lasts a short time and as i said you normally get funds released on delivery + 3 days. Even when I used to be paid by cheque the hold was quicker than taking the time to go to the bank and wait for it to 'clear'.

They take their fees because they have already processed the buyers payment for you.

Thanks for confirming what I needed to know though.

And yes I have a real job but work shifts so am often here at random times of day. Thats why I won't be here this evening as I start work at 5pm, that ok with you??

However what is it to you equally if I post 23 or 24 hours a day? If I am helping folks (and with nearly 10,000 kudos / solutions) I am then so what? Why don't you help someone instead of having a pop at someone that does just because they disagree with your silly rant about Ebay / Paypal holds?  Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Dot27
Contributor
Contributor

Oh dear... this is like going in circles, almost like reading script ..... 😉

Darling, it is not only me who says about holding by PP, its hundreds of people who simply cannot access their money. You can find LOADS of threads about it. 

Yes, as i mentioned and many others we mostly dont have cash lying around so it might be hard to  sell -> not receive money -> pay for postage. You say that it is never 21 days when PP holds funds, well this is not true, because some people had to go to court to get their money back. Some people on PP community mention 240 days, 60 days etc., but even 21 days is way to long. 

I dont care about your "pretty" life, i dont care what you do, i dont care what is your next answer, i dont care what you eat, what you drink etc - but just to clarify : not "+3 days" but "+3 WORKING days", so if this is thursday , you wont get money in any way until Monday - Tuesday. 

And last, i dont abuse people, but you did by calling me "silly". I get that PP want to shut peoples mouth but honey, this will not happen 🙂  Adios amigos 😄 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.