Nigerian scam -help

Niamhfealy2012
New Community Member
Hi, I need help. I am about to be scammed by the Nigerian scams. They have my pay pal email address? What do I do? Close my account? They say they have paid the money for ghe item I was meant to sell, but nothing has gone into my pay pal and all emails went to my junk box. I know how stupid am I ? The minute I saw it in my junk I realised something wasn't right. They say money is deducted from their account , what do I do? Reply to pay pal? Close my account? Ignore them? What is the best steps? Also have they money now? Have I already been scammed or is it in time? Please share your experiences if you were in this situation ???
Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Gosh, calm down hun.

If you are a seller and you have not sent the item then no harm done.

So they have your email address? So what? As long as they don't have your password they can't do a lot can they?

Just remember to keep your password a strong one.

HOWEVER they couldn't care less about your email addy, they want to fool you into thinking they have paid so you send your item to them.

You are not going to do that are you?

So just delete their emails and ignore them, or you can just reply saying you are not happy to go ahead with the transaction as there is no money in your paypal balance, if they threaten you with the FBI or Interpol etc then have a good laugh and delete the emails.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Timsurbo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, mate! I think I'm in the same situation as you.

But I've already sent a parcel and this Nigerian guy asked me two send him £200... By the way, he said that he already sent the money to my PayPal account and it's on hold because I haven't sent him a proof (MTCN code from Western Union)...

Is this even possible? I don't think PayPal works this way...

And now he asked me to send him another £500 saying exactly the same thing, like it's "on hold"

Btw I have got any money on PayPal my account.

Also I got mails from "PayPal" but I'm pretty sure it's the same guy... The email is:

onlineverifypaymentconfirmation at post.com

Guys, any help?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Or if the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you. They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Timsurbo
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers, kernowlass!

I wish I found this section later. Lost 200 pounds and very nice smartphone, BlackBerry z30 😞 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

How long since you sent it?? Contact your post office / royal mail and see if they can send it back to you.

I did not think it could be done but have had several posts recently from folks that have recovered their items even after being posted.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Timsurbo
Contributor
Contributor

About 3 days are gone. It's in Nigeria already but I'll go to post office tomorrow, now everything is closed and noone answers the phones. If they will be able to return it, that would be fabulous.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

May be too late now if its left England   Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Timsurbo
Contributor
Contributor

Well, that's a pretty good life lesson then...

Cheers, mate!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.