Basic Paypal functioning questions

Yogui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have some basic questions about how Paypal works, especially in connection with eBay. I have to pay some fees after selling some items on eBay and I chose to pay automatically using my Paypal account (no problem so far). Here are some questions I have:

- Do I have to have the amount I owe eBay on my Paypal account? What happens if I don't have it when the payment occurs (I do have it, it's just out of curiosity)?

- Does Paypal allow some kind of overdraft, or does the paiment simply not occur?

- My Paypal account is linked to my bank account and debit card (if I understood correctly). Is the money directly taken from my bank account, or do I have to but the money myself on the Paypal account, as some kind of interface between my bank account and eBay?

I'm guessing the answers are somewhere on the website, but I can't find them, so I hope someone will be able to answer, or redirect me to the right place.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Do I have to have the amount I owe eBay on my Paypal account? What happens if I don't have it when the payment occurs (I do have it, it's just out of curiosity)?

no paypal payments are taken from whatever funding source you have linked to your paypal account.

Does Paypal allow some kind of overdraft, or does the paiment simply not occur?

If your funding source fails your paypal account is limited and put into negative balance until you pay them back again.

My Paypal account is linked to my bank account and debit card (if I understood correctly). Is the money directly taken from my bank account, or do I have to but the money myself on the Paypal account, as some kind of interface between my bank account and eBay?

as a buyer or a payee to someone else you never need funds in your paypal account balance, paypal will take from your default funding source ie bank account or if you are buying something and /or not enough funds in the bank account they will debit your back up funding source ie card.

You can also if you are buying select a card during the payment process.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Yogui
Contributor
Contributor

Cool, that helped a lot.

Thanks for your time.

Login to Me Too

Yogui
Contributor
Contributor

Just another thing. If I understand correctly, there is no particular reason why I should leave some money on my Paypal account (as far as selling on eBay is concerned). The best thing is to transfer the money on my bank account asap, right?

Thanks again

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

i tend to keep a bit in my paypal account balance as a seller in case i need to refund a buyer at any time.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.