Buyer opened dispute stating "not as described" due to "smell" of camera??!!! Urgent advice please

t_kaay
Contributor
Contributor

Hi and thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

I have a problem with a buyer and need advice. Recently sold a digital camera on ebay, with the following description: (It was listed as "used")

Selling my Canon SX50 HS camera. 

Only used on one holiday and just like new. 
 In the original box with manuals and paperwork. 
Original charger, 2 genuine batteries and remote shutter control. 
 Fantastic camera with a powerful 50x optical zoom.
 Posted same day, recorded delivery. 
 Any questions, please ask. 

Posted the item out to the wining bidder and received a message stating she wanted a refund as the camera "smells of ladies perfume". I replied that there was no smell on the camera and it had been in a camera bag for the last 6 months and not in contact with perfume. (I'm male and don't use perfumes). However, I did offer an explanation: before posting the camera, for hygiene and as a matter of courtesy, I gave it a wipe with an alcohol based wipe, specifically made for cleaning electronics. (you know the ones, you get them with screen protectors etc). I told the buyer it may be a lingering smell from that and no doubt it will disappear once the camera has been aired. She won't accept this, has opened a paypal dispute and escalated to a claim.
Now my understanding is this: surely her claim is null and void regardless of the smell, seeing as I didn't refer to the smell of the item in the description anyway? How can it be "not as described" if there is no description of the smell in the first place?

How do I word my reply to paypal? I've read about paypal always siding with buyers and feel I'm being scammed just as she's changed her mind. I'm also wary that she will return my camera once she's soaked it in perfume herself to make a point, rendering it useless to sell again. I'm in the right so don't want to accept the return.

Thanks for any advice, and be gentle.....it's my first time here!
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@t_kaay

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute it is nearly always one persons word against anothers.

So paypal 'tend' to find in favour of the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you first trackable to prove you received it.

If you refuse delivery then the buyer has done all they need to do and would still get a refund as tracking would show you refused it.

HOWEVER if she returns a different or damaged item you can try and 'appeal' paypals decision but to be honest I have rarely known that to work.

You have to put it down to the fact that you are going to get a pain in the butt buyer every now and then as that is the risk of online selling.

At least you 'should' get the item back again and can re-sell it.......good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

t_kaay
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply @kernowlass, but surely if it's not in the description to start with, how can they claim it's "not as described"? I could understand if I had described it as "smelling of roses", and it doesn't.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.