180 days now for opening a claim? Is that true?

nirita
Contributor
Contributor

Is it really true, that a buyer can now open a claim within 180 days of payment?

"You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment (or 45 days depending on when you made the purchase) if:....."

And please what means "or 45 days depending on when you made the purchase"

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi nirita,

I'm sorry this was not clear. It is true that a claim can now be opened up to 180 days from the date of payment. This change was instated on June 17th. The reference to 'depending on when you made the purchase' refers to the fact that payments made before that day would still come under the terms of our user agreement before the update. This means that they can only be disputed up to 45 days. Any payment made after June 17th can be disputed up to 180 days.

I hope this helps.

Rachael  

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi nirita,

I'm sorry this was not clear. It is true that a claim can now be opened up to 180 days from the date of payment. This change was instated on June 17th. The reference to 'depending on when you made the purchase' refers to the fact that payments made before that day would still come under the terms of our user agreement before the update. This means that they can only be disputed up to 45 days. Any payment made after June 17th can be disputed up to 180 days.

I hope this helps.

Rachael  

Login to Me Too

nirita
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Rachael,

and no, I think it was clear ... but I just couldn't believe it

Login to Me Too

AITpro
Contributor
Contributor

I may be wrong here, but logically the primary reason for extending the disput time to 180 days is the general time limit for chargebacks is 180 days.  PayPal gets hit hard by chargebacks.  Personally I think it is criminal what the credit card companies charge for chargebacks.

Real Life actual Example:  A thief who had stolen a credit card purchased my software product, which is $60.  The legitimate owner of that credit card realized months later that someone had made this fraudulent purchase on her credit card and did a chargeback.  The credit card company charged PayPal $100 for the chargeback fee.  I believe this is a standard chargeback fee by credit card companies and it may even be higher than that in some cases, which of course is extremely outrageous/unfair/bordering on criminal.  So I ended up back at $0, the thief ended up with a software product that does not work because my software has built-in anti-thief / anti-**bleep** code in it that destroys itself when it is stolen.  PayPal ended up $100 in the hole since the credit card company charged them the ridiculously outrageous chargeback fee of $100 for a $60 product that was refunded back on the card.

The credit card company made $100.  You could say that it costs the credit card company money to process a chargeback, but $100.  Come on now.  Absolutely outrageous and borderline criminal (maybe even a bit south of the border).

Login to Me Too

snapit
New Community Member

Let me make one correction, most credit card disputes are about $30 not $100, if you received a $100 fee for a credit card dispute you should change your bank today.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.