Scammer ordered FOUR times and Paypal still kept my money. How is this allowed?

zawalis
Contributor
Contributor

We have FOUR open cases. All four cases are from the same buyer. He's claiming he did not authorize FOUR purchases. He's a scam artist and this is illegal.

All four now say: "Case status: Under review with buyer's financial institution: After reviewing the info we received, we were unable to cover this payment and have debited $22.99 USD from your PayPal balance. We’ll attempt to recover this amount from the buyer’s financial institution. If we’re able to recover the payment, the money will be credited back to your balance. It could take up to 75 days for us to get a resolution."

I've been with PayPal for over TWENTY YEARS and this is the first issue I can recall. My account was debited and now the resolution center says I should wait 75 days to see if we can recover the money. I would expect that Paypal's "Seller Protection" would have resolved this immediately. I'm extremely disappointed in all this.

I'm also amazed that you can't email them and they don't email me with case updates. 

This company has fallen SO far.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@zawalis 

The chargeback process is external to the PayPal system. The buyer's credit card issuer grants its members specific consumer protection which PayPal has no authority to replace or reduce. If a PayPal user initiates a chargeback with their credit card company Paypal have no way of stopping the claim.

When a PayPal payment is charged back, Paypal are charged a fee by the credit card issuer. They pass this non-refundable fee on to you. 

If the card issuer grants the case in the buyer's favour, Paypal review the transaction on your PayPal account to see if it is eligible for Seller Protection.  Please review this link for information on the Seller Protection Policy - https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/article/what-is-the-paypal-seller-protection-policy-and-what-items-...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.