Scammer called and closed my case

Welson38
Contributor
Contributor

Bought a bike form Pinkbike, and used "Good and Servie" as payment method and thought it should be secure and safe enough, but found out it was scam, the entire post and the seller profile was gone after I made the payment, so I initially filed dispute, somehow my case was closed and stated that the case was closed by me but I did not, I changed my code and password after I heard this situation, then reopen the dispute, again, it closed and still stated "I" closed this case. Finally called and talked with Paypal representative, found that "someone" who pretend to be me and asked to close my case, how scary was that!!! Someone can easily to be other people and do whatever they want like nothing. I then talked to the representative that please call me in person to confirm if "someone" still try to be me to close this case, and now hopefully Paypal can really do better to protect their customers.

Just curious if someone here have same or similar experiences? How it end up with?

Thanks.

Welson T.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Welson38 

Wow. Can’t buy from just anyone anymore. Scammers are everywhere these days. Stick with the tried and true. Do a web search on store name/domain name if you venture off to buy from random shops for any scam report results. If no info is found at all, it’s best to move on.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

dinatkk
Contributor
Contributor

I also just had multiple disputes closed by a scammer.  PayPal CS doesn't understand that Caller ID is NOT a secure method of identifying people.  I called twice and was never asked for any second factor identification to confirm that I was the owner of the account.  I'm assuming that the scammers are simply spoofing the phone number associated with the account, and then using paypal's automated system to manage disputes.  I Identified the scam before the money had even been sent, but Paypal is claiming they can't do anything now that 2 different disputes have been open and closed.

PayPal - You need to add some form of second factor ID to your phone system, Caller ID can EASILY be spoofed by anyone with technical knowledge. or limit the ability to manage disputes via the automated phone system

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.