Received invoice from one seller which I didn't make any purchase. Is it a scam?

MichaelCHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I received a notification from PayPal that someone sent me an invoice to make a payment of USD 500 for purchasing a anti virus software which I didn't make. Could I just leave it like that with out paying or how do I cancel or report this?

Login to Me Too
815 REPLIES 815

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wonderworld59 

Any phone number in a fake paypal email is scam, paypal never put phone numbers in emails but the scammers do.

Equally any phone numbers in the ''notes'' section of an invoice or money request is inputted by the scammer as paypal only put their number via help/contact bottom of paypal pages.

If you use a fake number they will tell you that you have to download an app for them to clear the transaction and then they hack your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rothwek
New Community Member
I have just had 11 x separate payment requests from 2 different names each requesting £499 each…. I have not clicked on any links…. I’ve gone into my account pressed & confirmed cancel on each transaction & changed my password… do I need to anything else??
Login to Me Too

Temp20221210d
New Community Member
I had a transaction requesting £499.00 Boots Gift Vouchers which I obviously declined. I am quite concerned how someone has been able to access my account and can find no follow-up about this on the App. I want to know things like “where & when” this happened and how to prevent it from happening again. It’s all great that you receive an alarming email to call the helpline but then there’s no one to talk to about it. I’d be grateful for any help reassurance at all.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rothwek 

@Temp20221210d 

Scam money request or invoice that shows in your Paypal account..

Scammers harvest email addresses and send out money requests or invoices hoping that some of those email addresses are linked to an open Paypal account.

The unsuspecting recipient is given a fake Paypal phone number in the 'notes' section added by the scammer.
If you did call that number (DO NOT) to query the transaction the scammer tells you that they need to access your computer / Paypal account to cancel that transaction for you.
They will then hack your computer or Paypal account.

Paypal never put phone numbers on emails or in money requests/invoices, they tell you to contact them via help/contact bottom of their website pages.

If there is a cancel option then cancel it, if not ignore it and it should time out at 30 days.
As long as you don't click to pay it then no money would be transferred.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JamieCash
New Community Member
I've not seen the following before. Has anyone else had one of these?... Request received from Julia Dain Transaction ID U-9SG60146BP151851J Note SUSPICIOUS TRANSACTION OF £799. 00 GBP TO NIKE eGIFT CARDS FOUND IN YOUR ACCOUNT. TO STOP THIS TRANSACTION CALL US IMMEDIATELY @ +4[Removed. Phone #s not permitted] Details Money request amount £799.00 Total £799.00
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JamieCash 

Scam money request or invoice that shows in your Paypal account..

Scammers harvest email addresses and send out money requests or invoices hoping that some of those email addresses are linked to an open Paypal account.

The unsuspecting recipient is given a fake Paypal phone number in the 'notes' section added by the scammer.
If you did call that number (DO NOT) to query the transaction the scammer tells you that they need to access your computer / Paypal account to cancel that transaction for you.
They will then hack your computer or Paypal account.

Paypal never put phone numbers on emails or in money requests/invoices, they tell you to contact them via help/contact bottom of their website pages.

If there is a cancel option then cancel it, if not ignore it and it should time out at 30 days.
As long as you don't click to pay it then no money would be transferred.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

sleepdemon
Contributor
Contributor

I've just had a payment request from for $450 from ha.y.a.d.avidsontmp, this definitely is some kind of scam and as the email came from paypal itself i think others could easily be drawn in by it. Can i report this somehow? I tried the resolution centre and it wouldn't allow me to as i'd already cancelled the payment request.  The paypal message read as below so obviously phishing!! The email is a gmail.com one in case anyone else gets the same. I've sent them a payment request in return!

Charles [Removed] sent you a money request

NOTE FROM Charles [Removed]:

The Payment of $450. 00 USD for Tether (USDT) through PayPal has been processed. If you do not recognize this payment or wish to abolish it, please contact our Customer Service number [there was a number here but paypal won't allow it]

Login to Me Too

sleepdemon
Contributor
Contributor

I don't understand why the names have been removed when this is clearly a phishing attempt. Does Paypal not want users to be aware that certain people are up to this dodgy stuff? Or will that affect their take-home?! ha.y.a.d.avidsontmp 

Login to Me Too

Temp20221202
Contributor
Contributor

Got similar issue and can only get some sort of automated response from PAYPAL help page. I don't know if the fake woman or if Paypal wrote teh following note:

"Request received from

Sabrina [Removed]

EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED

Transaction ID

U-57H48680Y8669425D

Note

We've detected that your PayPal account has been accessed fraudulently. If you did not make this transaction, please call us at our Toll-Free number [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]to cancel and claim a refund. If this is not the case, you will be charged $470. 99 today within 2 hours of receiving this email. This transaction will reflect on your PayPal activity after 24 hours. Our Service Hours: (06:00 am. to 06:00 pm Pacific Time, Monday-Friday).

Details

Money request amount $470.99

Total $470.99"

Login to Me Too

Lairyfairie
Contributor
Contributor
I have had this too. Cancelled payment but can't seem to report it
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.