Received invoice from one seller which I didn't make any purchase. Is it a scam?

MichaelCHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I received a notification from PayPal that someone sent me an invoice to make a payment of USD 500 for purchasing a anti virus software which I didn't make. Could I just leave it like that with out paying or how do I cancel or report this?

Login to Me Too
815 REPLIES 815

bgleason1962
Contributor
Contributor
Mine only shows a pay button and no cancel button.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bgleason1962 

If no cancel option it should drop off at 30 days, as long as you don't pay it then your fine.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

R-bb1t
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem; I’m in U.K. and received an email this morning detailing a request via PP for $500. I logged into PP and it is there… but NO option to Cancel (why not?). Now I’m worried that somehow scammers will have discovered my PP login details. Panicking a bit!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@R-bb1t 

Sounds like a scam money request or invoice.

Scammers harvest email addresses and send out those requests hoping some email addresses are linked to paypal accounts and the unsuspecting recipient 'may' pay them not realising they are scams.

If there is a cancel option then cancel it, if not ignore it and hopefully it should time out at some point. 

I had one the other day, didn't bother me as I have no intention of paying it  😁 

As long as you don't click to pay it then no money should be transferred.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

R-bb1t
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much… I’m calm now 🙂 As stated, I have no Credit agreement so the fraudster can’t help himself. I had no option to cancel but I’m reassured to know that the request will expire at some point. It’s an awful scam if you don’t at first know what to do. 

Login to Me Too

shepdave
Contributor
Contributor
As kernowlass said, just ignore it. Whatever you do, do NOT call any “support line” phone number that appears within the invoice. The scammers are hoping you’ll panic and call for “help.” They will instruct you to download software that gives them access to your computer. This, I believe, is the point of these scams—as much as, or more than, your giving them money. Just ignore it, don’t pay it, and don’t respond to it.
Login to Me Too

R-bb1t
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks so much shepdave… luckily I didn’t call anyone; this was my first port of call and I’m glad I asked you kind folks first! Hopefully it’ll all resolve itself in time and my blood pressure can stay at normal levels! 🙂

Login to Me Too

hc13
Contributor
Contributor
People are trying to request large amounts of money from my account
Login to Me Too

koschei

[removed]Same issue and its from a vendor I've never used, let alone spent that much. This is what it looks like. I'm obviously not paying it, and have already sent the email to the fraud department about it. My suggestion is don't call the number, or email the email. Just report it, change your password and two factor your account.[removed]

Login to Me Too

jer-ryd-uro
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem. there is no way to talk to a human at PayPal. They don't know they are helping the fraud. There is no way to fix this. The only way to fix it is the next time it happens is to delete PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.