PayPal email today asking for me to update all my credentials again

Jaydee5
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All

I got an email from PayPal today telling me my account has been placed with limitations until I verify the following, I had to send them bank statements, choose new security questions and answers, also had to verify bank account again and do a new password, all of which I did and submitted, but after submitting all of these requests, the page wouldn't load, so I refreshed it and then tried to login with all my new credentials and it wouldn't let me, BUT I did get to login with all my old credentials, I feel sick to stomach and am in panic mode now thinking I have been scammed by this email, however I did read the email T&C's at the bottom of the page and it told me that the email would be legitimate IF it also displayed my MIDDLE name which it did, so I had no reason for concern, until now when my personal details update did not apply at all, could I have been scammed into giving my new password and bank statements out ? I really want to talk to someone from paypal but it;s the weekend and I can;t see their number displayed to call them. 

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jaydee5 

I'm hoping you submitted the details IN your paypal account?

You didn't click 'reply' on an email and submit them did you??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jaydee5
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did do it via the email because I carefully checked the little writing at the bottom of the email and it said a genuine email from PayPal will have my middle name included at the top and it did have my middle name included and I was confident it was legit because my middle name is highly unique and unusual, I only started to worry after I was adding info that some of the questions were asking me to update not just my password but everything including showing bank statements again etc, but my account had been put into a limited state until I updated these details but I did have an issue the week previously with a payment, however PayPal seemed to be going over the top to secure my account again, so maybe it's right ? But until I got the limitations lifted on my PayPal I wasn't able to get payments or purchase things using PayPal which to me I would assume should be secure given they making me jump through hoops to reinstate everything.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jaydee5 

Sounds very odd as paypal normally does not expect you to send personal or confidential information by insecure email.

They normally direct you to the message or resolution centre IN your paypal account.

Was your paypal account actually limited or did it just say that in an email? 

Your best bet is to contact customer services asap.

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a private direct message via Social Media on Facebook, Twitter/X, or Instagram pages.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Jaydee5
Contributor
Contributor

After I got the email, I thought this is odd asking for all this info again as I already had an account that was previously working, so I logged in to my account via the PayPal website and it said I had limitations on my account until I verify these 5 or 6 details,  I also logged into PayPal via my iphone APP and it said my account had limitations on it and I needed to provide these details again. So that's when I went back to my email and clicked the verify details. I am yet to call PayPal as they are closed for the weekend for phone calls.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jaydee5 

You can ask them on Twitter or Facebook, post back when you get an answer will you?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Jaydee5
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There

I just got off the phone with PayPal and that email was legit, she looked into my account and said because I had the previous payment issue and it looked like the seller was a scam, PayPal said it was necessary to do all of the actions required like showing bank statements and changing passwords and security questions etc to keep my account safe and it would stop the seller from trying to access my account. Although I thought that sellers couldn't access a persons PayPal account to try for a second dip into funds that would exceed the final amount of purchase, maybe they can ?

I want to say thank you for your replies, it was greatly appreciated.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jaydee5 

Thanks for the update although its a tad worrying.

I always thought paypal would not ask you for confidential information via an email but would direct you to the message or resolution centre of your account.

That is pretty poor security of paypal as folks may send that information to scammers by email.

Thanks for posting back. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Jaydee5
Contributor
Contributor

Yes all good now, PayPal said all the info I had to do was to secure my account again, it's a lot of hoops of jump through and I wasn't familiar with the process, she checked my account and said it's all good to go now and I even learnt something today, I didn't know that some sellers won't accept PayPal payments from a buyers BANK ACCOUNT but they will only accept from a persons LINKED CARD and I only have my bank account down and when yesterdays purchase was giving me grief it was because the seller I was buying from would only accept payment via my linked card in PayPal which I didn't have down.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jaydee5 

Sellers can block echeques. An echeque is when you pay directly from your bank account.

No bank account payments are instant so when you pay and fund it via a bank account paypal credits the seller upfront and then paypal wait for your bank transfer to complete 5-7 days.

However Paypal will only do that if you have a back up card linked to your paypal account as well. If you do then they will credit the seller in advance for you. If you don't then both you and the seller has to wait for the bank transfer to complete which is why some sellers block echeques. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.