New device login query - could it be a secondhand laptop

Rose0931
New Community Member

I recently bought an item and paid via Paypal. Shortly after, I received an email from Paypal (legit) stating that there had been a new device login. When I checked the details, they were a different region of the UK and this is at least the second time this same detail has occurred.  So I went ahead and changed my paypal password yet again to be on the safe side.

My question is: I have been using a secondhand laptop for around three years (bought off Ebay) and am wondering whether the new device login details pertain to the original owner of the laptop?  If so, is there a way for me to change the laptop's location?

There has been no suspicious paypal activity at all so could this be why?

Any illumination on this would be much appreciated!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Rose0931,

Welcome to our community help forum and thanks for posting!

I understand your concern about the new device login notification. It's possible that you're receiving the notification about the new device login because of the use of VPN or proxy. Please make sure you are logging from a secure location and avoid using any VPN’s or Proxy Servers. There are also other possibilities such as using incognito window, or clearing cookies and cache between logins, or if you have cookies turned off for the PayPal site in your browser, this may also affect how PayPal interprets your login. You can also reach out to our team through the available contact options at the bottom of PayPal page for any additional trouble shooting.

I hope this information helps!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.