Is there a working phone number to get help about fraud

jlinkoff
Contributor
Contributor

I've had several fraudulent situations with PayPal, and quite frankly, the onus is always on me to prove something has occurred.   I have two pending charges to my Paypal, and the phone number listed to call about fraudulent charges is out of service.   I am so frustrated.  Does anyone have a phone number that works?       I never feel there is any buyer protection.   

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

JShif
New Community Member

I calle[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]  I got this number from PayPal website. 

I have a fraudulent charge on my account this morning.  When I call, they ask me to redirect to another website.  It seems even more suspicious.  I am not going to log into another site I don't recognize and give them my personal info on that site.  ARGH.  I can't find a phone number that actually gets me to a useful agent.  I will keep an eye on this tread and see if anyone has a better suggestion.   

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @jlinkoff and @JShif,

Thank you for your first posts in the PayPal Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear that there were seemingly fraudulent charges in your account, and I understand how you would be frustrated with the need to report them and concerned with what it may mean!

If there was a phone number in the text description of the charge, it is possible that that was not in fact a charge, but it may instead be a fraudulent invoice that is designed by a fraudster to look like unauthorized activity and scare you into calling a phishing number. It looks like @jlinkoff encountered a fraudulent number that has already been taken down, and @JShif rightfully became more cautious when they were led to a different site! Good job being suspicious and not going any further, both of you!

It it is indeed a fraudulent invoice it can safely be ignored, or if there is a cancel option listed, you can cancel it. A fraudulent invoice is not an indication that someone has accessed your account or made any payments from your account, and it is not required that you change your password. It is merely the result of someone entering your email address when sending an invoice, and including fraudulent information. You can send the email that you received to phishing@paypal.com to alert the fraud team to the activity so it can be further investigated, and you can ignore or delete the email.

If it is not actually a fraud invoice and is in fact a charge instead, please report the unauthorized activity with the steps in that linked US Help Center article (the steps should be the same for any country, please let us know if they do not match what you see in your account), and follow the steps to re-secure your account by changing your password within that process. Choose a password that is strong and unique from any other password used on another platform.

I hope this helps, and that it sets your mind at ease!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.