How do I block money requests

Carly-dunn1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I've got someone constantly asking for money via PayPal money request. How do I go about blocking this person from doing this please? Also how do I block from sending money to them and remove them from my personal PayPal account please?

Login to Me Too
66 REPLIES 66

FlowBee
Contributor
Contributor

And when they get a new email from google or aol, you can do the same thing ALL over again...  What the brain-surgeons running paypal need to do is give me a way to DELETE an unsolicited request... PERIOD.  And the person you sent the one cent to... well now they have a valid e-mail address to sell to other spammers/scammers...   YOU don't want to have to change e-mail addresses every month... but THEY can set up their scam with a new e-mail address in 5 minutes.  THANKS, Paypal for all your help on this thread....  NOT!

Login to Me Too

ahrashb
New Community Member

I agree with Flowbee and others here who have pointed out how completely ridiculous this situation is. Practically every resident in our city has gotten the same 'I'm a desperate dad and send me money' request due to someone leaking an email list, not that it is difficult to find anyone's email these days. Emails are essentially public record. But that's all that was needed for this person to request money via Paypal from literally everyone.

This person is no one I know.

This person is not on my Contacts list.

I do not want this person to have any confirmation that my email is valid nor that I received (and canceled) his request.

I do not want the ONLY option that Paypal shows me to be 'Send Payment'. That is insanely stupid.

How can this not have been solved yesterday? I am baffled.

I don't need Paypal. There are many other choices out there now. If I don't get a working solution here in the next week, I'll have no choice but to drop Paypal entirely.

Login to Me Too

ctemple28
Contributor
Contributor

Firestorm, Thank you.  Temporary solution, maybe, but I will take it and watch for any later requests.

I still believe that PayPal could and should put an option to opt out on this feature and could do it with little effort.

C

Login to Me Too

Bertoknee
Contributor
Contributor
Sadly this unsolicited money request thing is happening more and more - especially since Covid which has left millions of people around the world pretty desperate. Problem is Paypal DONT WANT to fix it - remember, they make money from every single transfer - EVERY SINGLE ONE. Of all the random money requests that occur, many will get through to someone gullible and another transfer will happen - and Paypal smile. This is the nature of business nowadays - keeping people protected LOSES the company money.
Login to Me Too

ORB1
Contributor
Contributor

have had two requests from a Charles <removed> for money for an operation.Never heard of him so cancelled request.Not showing on my contacts so how does he get to my account.Lost faith in PayPal and took my card and bank details off will not use again till something is done about this

Login to Me Too

CabbageCat
New Community Member
Just got one, using the same requestor name as yours, for chemotherapy
Login to Me Too

ppazos
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, the issue is with the changes PayPal did to the PayPal.me page, before it was only to send money to me, then they added the Request money button. Some of my clients are confused and they click on REQUEST instead of SEND.

There is no option to remove the REQUEST button.

Login to Me Too

Ferowin
Contributor
Contributor

How to block money requests in three easy steps. (Pictures are from the current iOS app)

366481CB-679B-4F40-AC96-736EC802D8F3.jpegFAB7C656-00BF-48E1-BE05-5BBF52B6DE89.jpeg

Login to Me Too

ppazos
Contributor
Contributor

That is blocking individual users, not preventing any user with a paypal.me link to request money, so still anyone can ask for money even though that is not the intended use of the paypal.me link.

Login to Me Too

shadowban-eu
New Community Member

Same issue, here. I get frequent requests via paypal.me link. Everything from people simply clicking the wrong "button" to fraudsters requesting $1000 and more. Just add an option to disable requests! Vicarious embarrassment is through the roof that a company the size of PayPal can't get this done in years.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.