How can I escalate a fraud complaint when the scammer is defrauding the dispute resolution process?

HSPotter
Contributor
Contributor

I am being scammed by what is obviously a very experienced fraudster whose entire operation is designed to get around Paypal's buyer protection and rip people off. I bought two large cheeseboards off this buyer and they supplied a worthless ring instead. They first tried to pass it off as a "gift" because I complained that my order hadn't turned up. They then tried to get me to accept the ring instead of my order. When I refused, they tried to offer me a 20% refund in exchange for keeping the ring. It's an obvious deliberate scam so I reported them for supplying something significantly different to what I ordered. 

They finally offered a full refund but only AFTER I return their cheap ring to a FAKE address in the UK (they are a China-based business). This is clearly part of the scam. If they don't receive the product back, I don't get my refund. They are banking on me either not being willing to pay the extortionate postage to send it to the UK, te parcel being delayed by Covid and failing to arrive within the two week deadline (likely) and/or never arriving because that address DOES NOT EXIST. 

Paypay clearly hasn't read the information I've sent them telling them this company is conducting a fraudulent operation. I now have only two options - send the product to a fake address and spend MORE money to lose all my money, or close the dispute. I'm furious and I think this is disgusting. 

How else can I get Facebook to review this company's outrageously dodgy behaviour? I want a full refund and I want these scammers shut down. They are still selling this product and I'm certain they are doing the same thing to all buyers. 

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

catrionajeanc
New Community Member

You are correct.  Paypal said they resolved the dispute, but they didn't.  They said the seller gave proof of delivery.  I looked up the tracking number.  It said delivered to my city.  Weight was .60 lbs.  Impossible.  I ordered a large. heavy item.  There was no way my product was .60 lbs.  Besides UPS never delivered anything to my door.  Paypal would not listen to me. 

Login to Me Too

rowlv
Contributor
Contributor

I to fell for the PayPal scam. On July 7, I ordered a 5 tier shelf from Dongguan Post Garment Co., Ltd. based on a Facebook advertisement. On the 29th. of July I received a small package in the mail, and thinking it was a spray I ordered I opened the package. To my surprise I found a $1 plastic shelf enclosed. Upon my investigation I discovered the package from Jinsong <removed> was my order that I paid 31.98 for from Dongguan Post Garment Co., Ltd. PayPal offered $16.00 which I refused and now they say if I send the $1 shelf to a different address for $10 they will credit me my purchase price eventually. Yes I have been intentionally defrauded with the assistance of PayPal and it appears my only solution is to inform as many ignorant folks as possible of the PayPal scam.

What I ordered.What I ordered.What I received.What I received.

Login to Me Too

pmk7541
Contributor
Contributor

Pretty much exactly what happened to me.  My substitute product (not what I actually ordered)  was shipped from California but was told I could get my money back if i shipped it to an address in China, written in Chinese! And to ship to China is outrageous. I had plenty of proof of the scam but got no relief from PayPal.  Had to file a claim with my credit card. I thought we could depend on PayPal in these type situations...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pmk7541 

Paypals clients are buyers AND sellers so paypal would not back one anymore than another.

They give some buyer and some seller protection but its up to you to risk assess your own transactions.

Sadly you bought from one of the below but glad you got your money back via a card.

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.
They do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

The best thing is to not buy from them in the first place, to recognise them -

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

rowlv
Contributor
Contributor

I returned the package to China after signing up for PayPal return shipping on us. I have now been credited with the 31.98 paid by PayPal and the 17.25 for postage to china. It is a process but it was done.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.