Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

I just got a text about this regarding my xbox 360.  I demanded money upfront.  The person told me it woul dbe a graduation present for their son.  I was a little unsure, and still demanded money upfront.  4-5 hours went by before i heard from them again.  They said 500 USD had been placed in my paypal, clearly it hadn't.

The Address they used was:

<removed>

I had stated several times I had planned on using UPS, not USPS, yet they demanded I use USPS.  Hmm, I think not.  Thanks for all the very helpful information.  Saved me from doing something stupid. 🙂

Login to Me Too

inna-kushnar
New Community Member

i got this too yesterday.

the address was

Nikole <removed>
LagosNigeria

Login to Me Too

I had the same. Craig Clelland emailed me trying to get me to send a laptop to him. I told him to go through ebay. He did not and tried sending me a poor excuse of a paypal email. I could tell this was not real.

He went under the below name on ebay.

<removed>

here was the shipping address he wanted me to send it to.

Yemmy <removed>
<removed>
Off Omobola Street
Lawanson Itire
Surulere 101014
Lagos Nigeria

Login to Me Too

ta2d09
New Community Member

Lol I just got the same son of a **bleep** Yemmy <removed><removed> Lawanson Itire Surulere 101014 Lagos Nigeria

Login to Me Too

loulouoffill25
New Community Member

i have just had the same with the same address, he wanted me to send my micheal kors watch bit of a demanding email from them aswel, no funds in paypal !

ayo <removed>

<removed>

off omobola street

lawanson ltire

surulere

lagos nigeria

email address they emailed from was Myrtie <removed>

ebay name: jenh847

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Can you edit your post and remove email addy and user name.

These scammers highjack genuine account holders email addresses and ebay i.d's and use them.

So you are probably putting an innocent parties information on a public board.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lllllyy

Also freud, demanded me to transfer an expensive camera without payment through someone elses account. 

Ade <removed>

<removed>
Lawanson, Surulere
Lagos, 23401
Nigeria

Login to Me Too

Tboonej

I was contacted by a person with a 701 area code,I kept asking for the address to ship an iPhone and they would not provide one.  Sent text after text wanting to know if I had received the paypal payment,  The person said they were in the hospital for kidney surgery and it was for her daughters birthday.  Then they asked if I had any other electronics for sale, very ambitious for a kidney patient,  When they finally sent the address it was to a man not a women in Nigeria, Zip Code 23442.  Even after I explained I will not ship outside the US he kept pestering me, The email went to junk the paypal email address is a dead giveaway it is a scam.  

Login to Me Too

Becca324
New Community Member

HA! I found this too, thought it was dodgy, rang paypal to verify if there was a 'payment on hold' until they got a tracking number but there was nothing. The address I got was:

Peter <removed>

Nigeria

+23401

I also got another guy doing the same thing but he didnt give me address, I emailed the woman and said there was no confirmation and shes now said they contacted her and said they need a shipping reference no before releasing the funds and that I have obviously rangthe wrong paypal department.......hmmmm...........!! Be careful guys, I nearly sent a laptop 😕

Login to Me Too

Niblockk

My address was: Tobi <removed> <removed> Lawanson Itire Surulere 101014 Lagos Nigeria Wanted my laptop and offered an extra £100 for it for postage. Email went into my junk so I instantly thought it was fake so emailed it to PayPal spoof and they confirmed straight away that it was!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.