Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Temp20230526am
New Community Member
That same thing just happened to me
Login to Me Too

jcjchung04

Hello. This happened to me yesterday.

A dining table set ($1000 value) was posted for sale on kijiji.com. An interested buyer by the name of Kimberly contacted me within the day agreeing to purchase the item. My paypal email was requested to transfer the transaction amount, which was given. Soon after an email on paypal letterhead was received notifiying a pending $1700 was transferred, which includes the $1000 value for the set, $650 for shipping fees and $50 for moneygram charges. I was instructed to send the $650 in moneygram to a United Kingdom contact. The actual content of the Paypal letter is as follows:

- - - - -

Regarding your Transaction with Kimberley. The Funds will reflect in your PayPal account as soon as the money gram information is received from you.We want to notify you that a payment of $ 1,700.00 CAD has been deposited into our database by Kimberley and is ready to be credited into your account, the Money was sent through the Service Option Secure Payment making this transaction to be protected with adequate security measures for you to be able to receive the funds.

So, all you have to do now is to proceed to send the $ 650.00 CAD through money gram Money Transfer to the confirmed shipping agent address and make sure you contact us with the Necessary money gram details so that we can verify it and then credit your account. You can send it at any money gram Local Outlet, it's not compulsory you have an account with money gram before sending funds. We'll include the money gram when crediting your account.Get it done asap.MAKE SURE YOU SET THE SHIPPING FEE AVAILABLE FOR PICK UP IN MINUTE AT THE MONEY GRAM SHOP FOR EASY COLLECTION BY THE SHIPPING AGENT.

You are required to send the money gram information to us as stated below if you don't have a scanner:

(1) Sender's Name;
(2) Receiver's Name;
(3) Reference Number;
(4) Amount Sent;

We assure you that this is a safe and approved transaction and your account will be credited immediately we verify the money gram details.You can contact us anytime if you have any question(s) about this transaction. We want you to understand that the money payment can't be reversed nor can it be canceled or split, so we assure you that you are 100% SECURED doing this transaction.

Once again be rest assured that you will have the funds, Once the Money Gram Information is received from you for verification.

Sincerely,

A. Williams,
The PayPal Team

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction. As this transaction was done via our e-mail payments service, any inquiries and necessary information should be sent to us by directly replying to this message, because of the status of this transaction, it has not been passed on to our customer care phone service section and all inquiries should be directed to this e-mail address as it is the one monitored for your transaction.You can email us any time at ..

- - - - -

(the customer email line was secureroot.com) This behavior appeared odd and I was able to confirm the fraudulent nature of the scam after a brief internet search. I have reported this information to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

Login to Me Too

NeverSmiles899
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, all I'm currently in a transaction that I'm not feeling to good about. See below. Congratulations! The moving agent fees has been picked up by the moving agent. We have also been contacted by the moving company that the funds have been received for the pick up arrangement of the Item Purchased. We were informed by the moving company that according to there shipping policy, the merchandise must first be insured in order to ascertain safety and delivery of the item purchased. The insurance fee has been calculated to be a total sum of $400.00 CAD. After receiving this message from the moving company, we have immediately contacted the buyer for permission to deduct the $450.00 CAD (which includes the $50.00 CAD Western Union Charges) and we have immediately deducted the funds from the buyer's account to his inconvenience and it has been added to your total funds with us. Presently, you now have a total sum of $1,850.00 CAD ready to be credited into your account. We want you to know that this will be the last time PayPal will request you to send money to the moving agent as everything is finally set and your fund is about to be credited into your account. We are requesting that you send the last and final remaining shipment-insurance fee of $400.00 CAD to the moving agent through Western Union so that your account can be credited with your funds. Once you have sent the insurance fee , you have to email us the Western Union receipt and after we receive and verify the details of the money transfer, we will send you a "CONFIRMATION EMAIL" stating that your $1,850.00 CAD plus any additional fees incurred for sending will be credited into your account within 24hrs we receive the payment details from you. The funds are calculated below: Merchandise Amount $ 950.00 CAD Shipping Fee $ 400.00 CAD Insurance fee $ 400.00 CAD Western Union charges (shipping fee) $ 50.00 CAD Western Union charges (insurance fee)$ 50.00 CAD Total................... $1,850.00 CAD We are truly sorry for all the inconveniences you might have encountered with this transaction and we want you to know that your funds will be speedily credited into your account once we receive the Western Union details for the Insurance fee within 24hrs. Thank you for using PayPal, The PayPal Team Scott Thompson President PayPal Inc. Help Center | Security Center | Contact Us Please do not reply to this email because we are not monitoring this inbox. To get in touch with us, click on Contact Us at the bottom of any page Copyright © 1999-2014 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Consumer advisory: PayPal Pte Ltd, the Holder of the PayPal™ payment service stored value facility, does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority of Singapore. Consumers (users) are advised to read the terms and conditions carefully. PayPal Email ID PP1478 - dfd19574cc8e3 I didn't know about this community as I've already given $400 via westernunion. Is this a scam. Please help.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi NeverSmiles899,

Sadly, yes, this is a scam.  PayPal would never request you to forward funds via Western Union to complete a purchase and any payments that had been sent to you would always be visible in your pending or available balance.

While you may be able to recover the funds sent via Western Union if they haven't been collected, absolutely do not send any goods or allow them to be picked up.  This is not a legitimate transaction.

Thanks,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

LiamO

Hello

Wanted to find out why Paypal is not in my country Ghana.

Do you know when it would be available there?

Regards

W

Login to Me Too

Temp20230526an
Contributor
Contributor
So it was a scam?. Im having the same thung happen
Login to Me Too

Budderfly
Contributor
Contributor

I am selling a video camera off of Craigslist and the buyer first asked to give me the best price.

I gave him my price and he said he wanted to pay by paypal. So I get the e-mail from him informing he sent it and I get this message from the address: <removed>

MESSAGE START

This is to Notify you about the Payment made by Declan <removed>to your PayPal account. The payment has been successfully made but due to security reasons we have to receive the Shipment Label Number before your PayPal account can be credited. 

This a new measure we are taking in order to protect both  Sellers and  Buyers against fraudulent activities. Once you have ship the Item, send  the shipment label number to PayPal Customer Service Department: <removed> immediately the Shipment Label number is CONFIRMED, your account will be credited immediately. 
We are sorry for any inconvenience.
Thank you for using PayPal

The PayPal Team. 

PayPal Email ID PP274.
Copyright 1999-2013 PayPal. All rights reserved. 
PayPal Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
in the United Stat
e as an electronic moneyinstitution.PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056  

MESSAGE END

Obviously red flags were hoisted and I am not sending until I hear back from you and the buyer. I notified him that I was not comfortable with this method and to discuss alternatives.

Please let me know if this is a legit e-mail or if my gut instinct was correct.

Thanks in advance

Login to Me Too

nancyt
New Community Member

I keep getting an email saying that my account has been limited because someone in Europe tried to access it; or because Paypal needs more information.  The emails look like they come from Paypal but are sent to undisclosed recipients and not to me directly.

Then I am directed to reset my account.  I have never done it because I have been using my account and have not been having any problems.  Would Paypal contact me in this way?  I've been getting these for ages but am afraid to follow up.  My last order came to me from the US, which I would think would be considered international.

Thanks 🙂

Login to Me Too

nside
New Community Member

@nancyt wrote:

I keep getting an email saying that my account has been limited because someone in Europe tried to access it; or because Paypal needs more information.  The emails look like they come from Paypal but are sent to undisclosed recipients and not to me directly.

Then I am directed to reset my account.  I have never done it because I have been using my account and have not been having any problems.  Would Paypal contact me in this way?  I've been getting these for ages but am afraid to follow up.  My last order came to me from the US, which I would think would be considered international.

Thanks 🙂

---------------------------
Spoiler

I received the following email:

Subject: Your account has been temporarily deactivated

<< There followed a .PNG image with the PayPal frame containing text that stated>>

Our Technical Service Department has recently updated our online services, due to this

upgrade we sincerely call your attention to follow below link and reconfim your`online

account details.

<< and then included instructions, steps 1 - 3 culminating in a hyperlink. >>

I received 3 copies in a two hours period.  I have no doubt this is an attempt at fraudulent activity falsely attributed to the good name of PayPal by a dishonest third party.

Login to Me Too

LokiQC
New Community Member

Hi, so i got a problem here... I want to sell an item on kijiji ( free ads website ) and there is this guy, wanting to buy my item. But he want to pay on paypal. Theres his message by email :

Hello

i am John by Name i'm buying this item for my Daughter and
due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come
for inspection, i'm a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i
have gone through your advertisement and i'm satisfied with it and i
i'm ready to pay you XXX$ if you are ready to sell this item for me...

As for the payment..i can only pay via PayPal online secure payment..I
insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account
online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal
account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after
the payment has been made ...so no shipping included...

You can now send me your PayPal email like this below so i can pay
inright away and also include your address in your reply.

PayPal Email Address
Full Name
All Total Cost
Contact Mobile Number
Country

If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on
to www.paypal.com and sign up its very easy...

once i receive the details i will go ahead with the payment and then i
will contact my shipping company after you get the payment. I will
need your home address for the item to be
Picked Up by the Shipping Company..
Have a nice day.

Is this legit ? Can i trust him? Please help me!

-Dave
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.