Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

PersimmonLime

I think this email I received is fraudulent. The link they provided looks like the Paypal website, right down to the logos and everything, but is NOT Paypal!

Attention:  Your PayPal account has been violated!

PayPal Security & Privacy

Dear PayPal Member,

Someone with ip address 63.501.26.80 tried to access your personal account!

Please click the link below and enter your account information to confirm that you are not currently away
You have 3 days to confirm account information or your account will be locked.

Click the link below to activate your account:

Thank you for your prompt response.

Sincerely,

PayPal Member Services

This email was sent by an automated system, so if you reply, nobody will see it. To get in touch with us, log in to your account and click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page.

Copyright © 2013 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.

PayPal Email ID PP414

Login to Me Too

Trojin501
Contributor
Contributor

they are phishing for your info ,,   bogus bogus

Login to Me Too

Sassman70
New Community Member

The Western Union Shipper Fraud just happened to me Thursday night. I had an item for sale for $6000, the purchaser sent $7200. It was being held by PayPal until I sent $1200 to England to a shipper. I had not check this board before and I was very niave. I sent the money via Western Union. The Western Union is 10 mins from my house, by the time I got home Western Union was calling me, they said that they did not let the transaction go threw because he was flagged as a scam. I was able to get my full money back, so I am thankful that they have fraud protection agents. This was my first transaction with PayPal. Why do people always want to rip other people off. I hope all these scammers get scammed. Thank you for helping people be aware of all the scams that are out there.

Login to Me Too

Damarandy
New Community Member

Hey there same thing happened to me. A buyer purchased $5000 antique settee. Plus $1000 for freight I was to send via western union My son dropped by and saw what I,had done He called paypal on my behalf there were no funds pending for my account I called western union and the funds had not been claimed so I was able to stop the sending and picked four the funds later I've reported to spoof paypal and FBI. Waiting to hear a response thank you

Login to Me Too

Empress_Natalie
Contributor
Contributor

I got two of these "from" my email address. I wasn't sure about them, but I reported them as phishing. The links highlight to paypal.com/uk and ashiksha.com/SECUREBEST. (No, I didn't click, I hovered!)

How to Confirmed PayPal account

Dear PayPal Customer,

To get back into your PayPal account, you'll need to confirm your account .

It's easy:

1. Click the link below to open a secure browser window.
  2. Confirm that you're the owner of the account and then follow the instructions.

Before log in your account will be Confirmed,  Reporting it is important because it helps us prevent fraudsters from stealing your information.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal

Please do not reply to this email because we are not monitoring this inbox. To get in touch with us, log in to your account and click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page.

Copyright © 2013 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A.
Société en Commandite par Actions
Registered office: 22-24 Boulev ard Royal, L-2449 Luxemburg
RCS Luxemburg B 118 349

PayPal Email ID PP315

Login to Me Too

blixner
New Community Member

Hi Folks, I got an email today from someone pretending to be from PayPal saying that my account had been compromised and I needed to click on the embedded link and respond in order for my account to be verified.

I didn't.

I trashed it and reported it as a phishing scam.

I hope you'll do the same.

billy

Login to Me Too

Empress_Natalie
Contributor
Contributor

Dear PayPal customer:

WHY YOUR PAYPAL TRANSACTION WAS DECLINED AND WHAT TO DO NEXT

You recently tried to pay with PayPal but the transaction was declined because:

You don't make the new Account's Update to your PayPal account.

If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

To update your PayPal account records click on the following link:

Update account

Link does not work? Try again may be affected by the speed of the Internet or the site

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

Tip: Bank accounts don't expire so it's always a good idea to add and confirm your bank details with PayPal.

How do I know this is not a Spoof email? Spoof or ‘phishing’ emails tend to have generic greetings such as "Dear PayPal member". Emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name. Find out more here.

Please do not reply to this email. We are unable to respond to inquiries sent to this address. For immediate . Copyright © 2012 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2511 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131

Login to Me Too

PiggieMama

i didn't get emails so i cannot forward them, but i was given their "paypal account emails"  and would like to share, plz watch out for.. 

<removed>

i almost fell for this same scam selling my car. & thanks to someone showing me this page, i still have my car & my money! thank you!! lol.. really REALLY appreciate it!

Login to Me Too

krisirish1
New Community Member

This clown just tried to scam me ...thanks for the post   watch out for him

Login to Me Too

Mikey501

I received an email from someone who needed me to ship the item he was purchasing to Nigeria for him. I gave him my email and soon after i had an email show up in my inbox from a paypal email address. it said my funds were being held until i sent the shipment tracking number so paypal could verify. I have yet to see a pending transaction show up in my account. Scam?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.