Citibank Scam

Gosper1958
Contributor
Contributor

I had 4 x $99.99 withdrawn from my linked bank account without my authorisation. I reported this and the case was closed, identified as unauthorised activity but no money was returned. The money was immediately withdrawn before hitting my PayPal balance to a Citibank account, again an unauthorised transaction. I disputed this as well but the case has been closed and recorded as not unauthorised activity. I am out of pocket $399.96 due to this scam and Pay Pal and it's 100% protection is rubbish.

This is the second time that my account has been hacked. I have changed passwords etc. the last time I had a very difficult time getting my money returned. I had many phone calls to rectify the situation. Should have closed my PayPal account altogether.

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

Peta-ann
Contributor
Contributor
Deeks6, call them. They were excellent. Everything refunded. Just don't lose your cool. The problem happened because I was using the same password for several sites and obviously logged into a dodgy one. I know it's frustrating that other users are allowed to upload cards WITHOUT verification but it happens.
Login to Me Too

GlassNerd2112
New Community Member

Hi, everyone, I'm going through this myself now for the tune of around $400. A common thread within this particular thread is that not one contributor seems to have been refunded and PayPal are simply washing their hands of each and every instance. Come on PayPal, some of us simply can't afford the loss and for others, there's a principal here. 

Login to Me Too

foosh123
New Community Member

I just had the same issue, just reported this and the case was closed, identified as unauthorised activity but no money was returned. Anyone here has gotten the money back from paypal?

Login to Me Too

RADHAP
Contributor
Contributor

I had 6 x transactions of $99 taken from my debit card into Paypal and going into Citibank in Sydney Australia on 29 May 24, I called Paypal and reported the unauthorised activity. They gave me assurance that all will be ok however I know what the outcome will be !!

I changed my password and added 2FA to my Paypal account, however this has not detered the hacker, he/she set up a bank account for transfer funds out of my account.

I have disputed this transaction which is pending transfer of funds to hacker's account and I doubt Paypal is taking this seriously.

I will close paypal account once i have a resolve, quite frustrating and disappointed to be frank !

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.