Chargeback scam PayPal sided with scammer

Jamesk10
Contributor
Contributor
Hi all I’ve recently been the victim of a chargeback scam. I had a money receive pending to which I had no knowledge of as I have never sold anything. I purely use PayPal to buy so I question with the resolution centre as was told to respond to the charge back which I did saying I had no knowledge of the transaction and they immediately refunded the fraudster the money he said he had paid me and put a charge on my account where do I stand with this I can prove with a bank statement I have not received any such money but the told me it was closed and to contact the buyer which I can’t obviously because it’s a fake email adress. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jamesk10 

So when you received the funds accidentally sent to you then why did you not just issue a refund?

If they were sent using goods/services and you were charged a fee then you could have reached out to the senders email address and told them you would issue a part refund minus the fee element as it was not your error.

However if you did not refund and the buyer had to resort to a chargeback then if they won that chargeback (which they probably would) then they get a full refund and you are unfortunately left with the fee element to pay.

Also why are they a scammer just because they wanted their money back? Its easy enough to mis-spell an email address and send funds to the wrong paypal account in error, that does not make them a scammer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jamesk10
Contributor
Contributor
Well thanks for that reply however either I haven’t explained clearly or you have misunderstood what I’ve posted. But in short I did try to contact said person and the email showing for them came back as non existent and my mail was returned undelivered also I never received any funds of any kind to refund this person of whom I have no knowledge of, so I’m not sure what you’re getting at really. I haven’t done any business with them or anyone else I don’t sell anything and have no idea who they are nor have i requested any funds from anyone. So why would I refund someone money I never received in the first place I would be out of pocket. However wether it’s a scam to get money or done in error. It makes no difference because I don’t owe anyone anything in the first place. Because I’ve sold nothing requested nothing or provided any chargeable service and received no money when it said I did. But not to worry I have spoken to PayPal directly and have managed to get the fee they charged me for the chargeback refunded as they could see by their records it was nothing to do with me because I hadn’t recieved the money in the first place and they weren’t sure why there was a chargeback to me. but none the less I appreciate the time to reply.
Login to Me Too

ScaryPantsGuy
Contributor
Contributor

I suspect that some of these nice folks are CSR's reading from a script, and if it doesn't fit what they have in front of them, they simply disappear into the woodwork.

Beyond that, it's time to get re-involved with your bank.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.