Account Limitations: What You Need to Know

PayPal_Mark
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Keeping your business and customers safer

To ensure PayPal remains a safer place for enabling payments, we regularly review all accounts. Sometimes, limitations may be placed on your PayPal account, which could restrict you from completing certain actions: such as withdrawing, spending, or receiving money. Limitations are in place to help protect all our customers, and in some cases to meet our regulatory obligations. Protecting your account and money is important to us.

Account Limitations: What might cause it, and how to help avoid it?

If your PayPal account is limited, you may be unable to withdraw, send or receive money. There are a number of reasons why your account could be limited:

Suspicious & unusual activity

• We suspect someone could be using your account without your knowledge.
  • Your bank alerts us that someone has used your credit/debit card linked to your account without your permission.
  • There are unexpected changes to your selling activities such as a sudden increase in your typical sales volume.

In such cases, we do what it takes to protect you from potential fraud prompted by the unusual activity– through limiting your account, and investigating.

You can safeguard your personal information and help protect yourself against fraud through some simple measures.  For example, don’t enter your personal or financial details when describing items for sale or in response to emails, and log out of sites you’ve entered your personal information into.

Regulatory reasons or business is not compliant

Your account could be limited for regulatory reasons. For example, India PayPal sellers need to include additional information to be able to accept payments in their account. Also, reaching a certain transaction value in your account may trigger a limit, which can also be removed by providing information required to PayPal.

There are also restrictions on what a PayPal account can be used to accept (and make) payments for. For example, PayPal doesn't allow the sale of counterfeit goods or banned items. So, ensure that your business is compliant with PayPal’s Acceptable Use Policy .

Increased buyer issues

An increase of complaints, claims and chargebacks from buyers can lead to account limitations.

Following some simple guidelines can help you improve your performance and reduce the likelihood of limitations. Overall, communication is key. You should:

• Provide detailed product descriptions and photos.
  • Be upfront about policies such as shipping and returns.
  • Ship orders promptly and track shipments.
  • Respond quickly to any messages from buyers.
  • Work to amicably resolve any problems.
  • Ship to the address provided in the transaction details page.
  • Use quality shipping materials to prevent damage.

Removing limitations

If your PayPal account is limited, here’s what happens:

1. We’ll email you to let you know –  we’ll ask you to log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Centre for details on how to resolve the issue quickly, usually by providing information.
  2. Once you’ve submitted the information required, we’ll review and reply via email.
  3. We’ll remove the limitations once we have verified your account. At times, limitations can be removed by simply changing your security questions and password.

Here are the types of information and documents we may need from you:

- Supplier’s invoice with contact information

This helps us determine the inventory source and validate that you have the items that you’re selling in stock.

- Payment information

When an invoice is unavailable, we’ll review the following information about your payments:

• The item or service that was sold
  • The buyer’s name and shipping address
  • Proof of shipment to verify that an order was delivered

- Shipping or Tracking information

This helps us to verify that customer orders are being fulfilled.

- Proof of business
This provides evidence of a valid business registration and business ownership.

- Information for India sellers
This is to comply with our India regulatory obligations. Provide a valid PAN, a local bank account and the purpose code in your PayPal account task board.

- Proof of address such as bank statement or utility bill, Proof of identity such as passport or driver’s license
This helps us verify your identity when there is unusual account activity or to comply with regulations.

Once you’ve submitted your information, look out for any more emails from us as we may need additional details. We’ll do our best to confirm your information and remove the limitation within 2 business days, but sometimes it can take a little longer.

Quick Tip: If your PayPal account is limited, don’t open a new account. It could be traced back to the limited account.  It’s always best to resolve the limitation. We will guide you through it and restore full access to your PayPal account as quickly as possible.

Login to Me Too
1,052 REPLIES 1,052

mira899
Contributor
Contributor

The worst platform. My account has been permanently restricted due to an error in the name. I tried to modify it, but it did not work.. and customer service is absolutely useless.

Login to Me Too

mira899
Contributor
Contributor

**mistake

Login to Me Too

newUser0021
New Community Member

i creat a new paypal acount ,after filling my credit card informations to click save ,suddenly an error message appears that my account has been restricted.

Login to Me Too

Korirdo
Contributor
Contributor
You guys don't even help, mine was temporarily limited then I submitted what was required but it was followed by 'you can no longer do business with Paypal '
Login to Me Too

AnnaMAINA
Contributor
Contributor

PAYPAL HAS AND CONTINUES TO RUN SCHEMES WITH OUR FUNDS in the name of account limitations,   how else can one verify their identity besides providing the documents provided by their governments and the bank statements, THIS HAS TO BE STOPPED, THEY CANNOT CONTINUE STEALING FROM US!!!

They have now limited my account for the 3rd time in a span of one month  and this happens every time they see funds streaming in my account. SUCH A SHAME THAT A WHOLE ORGANIZATION IS RUN BY A BUNCH OF THIEVES AND HACKERS!!

SHAME ON YOU PAYPAL!!!

Login to Me Too

amina-69
Contributor
Contributor

does it mean that we "forget" about our funds! 

I could literally "feel" the smirk on the agent when she was responding on the chat to wait for an email (that never came)! 

i wonder what thousands of queries they are responding to if everyone here is left complaining non stop!

Login to Me Too

Temp20220906f
Contributor
Contributor

That is the fatal message where Paypal then makes you wait 6 months.  Around the 4 month mark, when you still have faith in the system, they swipe all the funds and transfer them to their own account.   You then get to call the Philippines for the next week and talk to compassionate yet useless agents.  When you explain that Paypal deducted the equivalent of 3 years of Filipino wages from your account, you will get passed on to a supervisor.  They are useless as well.  The agents claim they cannot access or make changes to your account.  

Once you get over the initial closure of your account and business checkout, and 'let go' of thousands of dollars, you may want to log in to Paypal and try to close your account.  You will not be able to.  You get to keep the account open, with all of your banking info, ss# and vital details available to Paypal.  You will spend the second week calling the Philippines and finding out that they will keep your account open for up to 10 years. 

In my case, they say that I sold items that were against their policies.  They could not tell me which transactions closed my account, they could not state how many infractions I had committed, but they did take $10,640 and stated it was for violating their policies.  $2500 charge per violation.  I guess I committed 4.22 violations.  I don't think they are very good at math. 

Daylight robbery. 

I was a paying customer for 17 years and out of the blue they decide they don't want to do business with me.  No warning, no emails, no temp ban while I fix any issues, just a permanent closure, seizure and zero communication.  I do still get the weekly mailer from them congratulating me for qualifying for a $10,000 line of credit with their Paypal card.  The irony. 

Paypal are crooks, stay away.   

Login to Me Too

CaesarSalad1

My account is limited because Capital One erroneously did chargebacks without my consent. The retailer had refunded my money, and Paypal transferred it to my Capital One checking account, but after 5+ business days the funds were still not there. Paypal said it should take around 1 business day. I called Capital One to ask where the money was. They instituted the chargebacks. THAT IS NOT WHAT I ASKED FOR.

Now, Paypal wants that money back, I have a negative account balance, and they have limited my account. I have had a Paypal account in good standing for 21 years, and never had a problem. I have completed every step to begin resolution on the issue, except it will not allow me to add funds, either using one of two checking accounts or a debit card. It continues to give me an error. I have tried from the app, from a browser on my phone, and online. 

paypal1.jpg

I tried calling the number to be told that they don't accept phone calls. I contacted the Paypal Assistant over five hours ago. I have not received one response. If I had known that I would not be able to talk to anyone on the telephone I would have started the Assistant last night.

Login to Me Too

Okrib
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal are effectively forcing our business to close.

They are currently withholding over £150,000 of funds as well as a rolling hold of 30% for 60 days. Without this money we cannot pay suppliers. Due to this we now are getting more refund requests.

The biggest scandal of all is how any refunds do not come from the withheld funds, but instead from the available balance. So if you have a refund rate of 10%, that comes from the 70% you are actually allowed access to, rather than the 30% withheld. So how can they say the withholding of funds is to protect against refunds / chargebacks etc? It's just a lie.

As for the way they handle cases, we provide signed proof of delivery, yet PayPal still gives the money back. It's an absolute disgrace.

Login to Me Too

MDFLAC

So many people want to sue them, anyone whith over 5000$ withheld can take legal action on paypal, just type on google (sue paypal) will see lots of cases and issues, they seem to be scammers in official suit, at least users and merchants have the right to know reasons for blocking or holding funds

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-13/paypal-sued-for-freezing-customer-accounts-withou...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.