Account Hacked and Closed

Waynergy
Contributor
Contributor

I have had someone, just this week, hack into my account, turn on two-step verification, add the email address [removed], and then turn off two-step verification. I was notified of this via email. When I went to log in, to investigate, my account no longer exists. There were no funds in the account, but I regularly used it as a seemingly secure third party to pay for purchases through eBay, via my own debit card. Now I'm doubting the point of even having a PayPal account at all. It is supposed to be a safe and secure, yet has just proven to be neither. It is fortunate that I haven't lost any money, else I would be seeking recompense. I am furious that this could happen to honest, unsuspecting people.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @Waynergy, 

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear someone else managed to log into your PayPal account, change the email, and set up two-step verification. If your email was removed from the account, that's likely why you're unable to log into it. For assistance restoring your account, please contact Customer Support. You can contact Customer Support by clicking 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal page for further assistance. Support is also available through Facebook private message or Twitter direct message.

I hope you can log into your account soon! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

mz9201ju
Contributor
Contributor
What the hell is that response.. i have to put in a report.. i have my hard earned money in paypal if i cannot get support right away.. whats the purpose of staying with a vulnerable platform like paypal..
Login to Me Too

Waynergy
Contributor
Contributor
Megan, I appreciate the platitudes, although they are of no help. As is said, prevention is better than cure, and the only real solution to this problem would have been to prevent it in the first place. These are not circumstances beyond PayPal's control, and if they wish to keep their customer base, and remain relevant, they need to do better. When I signed up for PayPal, around ten years ago, it was the bees knees, and without a credit/debit card it was the best and only way to pay for purchases on eBay, and other places online. This whole affair has illustrated how irrelevant and unnecessary PayPal has become, especially in my own situation. I won't be "accepting this solution", as nothing has been fixed or resolved. I have zero reasons to keep my PayPal account open, so I will definitely be closing it as soon as I make this reply. Regards, Wayne R Guihot
Login to Me Too

Kiloinus
Contributor
Contributor

I had similar happen to me over and over again. I tried to pay for an ebay purchase and when I tried to log in to PayPal it said my password was not correct.

I couldn't change my password because it said my email was not correct. That was because a hacker changed my email, password, and phone number.

Pay Pal reassured my that my funds were safe and a few days later the hacker changed everything back and made a fake invoice steeling &248.60 USD.

The hacker has changed it a third time.

PayPal has lost control of their web site log in and can not keep your funds safe.

I will close this account as soon as my money is refunded by PayPal.

Very unhappy...

Login to Me Too

Waynergy
Contributor
Contributor
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear it. PayPal used to be the best, but these issues illustrate that it's just not worth it, for me. Theoretically it should be impossible for the hacker to reinstate my email address, as I've already created a new account with that same address, so it's already in use. I'm just glad that I didn't have a bank account linked to my account, and I haven't lost any money. I won't be using PayPal again.
Login to Me Too

EarthlyWookiee
Contributor
Contributor
Literally just had this happen today. The purchaser even used my $5 credit for a fake store purchase. I have screenshots of everything, and I thankfully have this second account to contact help. I’ve already pulled my payments from this account and will be closing once I get this issue resolved. Extremely terrifying for someone in my position.
Login to Me Too

Waynergy
Contributor
Contributor
What was once a secure way to pay for things online has become a back door for hackers to access your bank accounts and credit cards. It's more secure to use my bank directly, and a greater chance of recompense should anything go wrong.
Login to Me Too

mz9201ju
Contributor
Contributor
I am leaving paypal not helpline number no online chat.. thank god i am saved i was thinking about getting there checking and saving account.. How can i miss something so big… paypal have no direct fraud call or chat
Login to Me Too

Waynergy
Contributor
Contributor
I'm leaving too. This has made me realise how irrelevant PayPal is to my life now. I'm only holding my account open for this discussion.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.