received an email from paypal that did not address me - should i be concerned?

dfmchfhf
New Community Member

i received multiple e-mails from [removed] that did not address me; instead it had another e-mail that was not mine in the "Hello, ___" line.

the e-mail headers seem legitimate, including DKIM:

Return-Path: <[removed]>
Received: from [removed] ([removed]. [173.0.84.228]) by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id x13-20020a62860d000000b00525421f9c3dsi969829pfd.37[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]55.03
[---snipped---]
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [removed] designates 173.0.84.228 as permitted sender) client-ip=173.0.84.228;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
dkim=pass header.i=[at]paypal.com header.s=pp-dkim1 header.b=x+7MG25i;
spf=pass (google.com: domain of [removed] designates 173.0.84.228 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=[removed];
dmarc=pass (p=REJECT sp=REJECT dis=NONE) header.from=paypal.com
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; d=paypal.com; s=pp-dkim1; c=relaxed/relaxed; q=dns/txt; i=[at]paypal.com; t=1659023698; h=From:From:Subject:Date:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; bh=hhmKfJEdmbWt3BNc1fACjCYgExN8FZYRNo2e/UeLIM4=; b=x+7MG25iApzCocjCVxViCEQawtyIhE6Qha6seQSPzGTk6wK7nRNB105wcCyEQuUs KS1YGVBrFLFDFGrBZQw7JZVIyuTS4Nyju9q/zTGyhGVfNGyCQDlQW6ItPrwloLWc j+rQjRQYVS1siu25SAuyY8YluSH0ufGjfaNuLs+3OUkoeuKwO3okCMtVbqH/PxZ2 nVgn8z0v/HMIQm8CoUT+Acpq+MpWzyBVpL2zoFkfvm6CLqS9fAWyK7HFpHXpbQDk 0iNzONIXEoW1QrqwXUbtWjKETCHRo2RVqRuWWahz02A0tPFtuYxHmbenEocNMr16 wMGzzfCf26HxDhzRV7BvTQ==;

(other emails went through [removed](173.0.84.226) or mx4.*(*.229) ) 

the e-mail content also appears in-line with other legitimate paypal e-mails, including link hrefs.

should i be concerned about these e-mails?  is this a potential spoof, or a potential (accidental) security breach within paypal?  (is it possible that e-mails intended for me are similarly finding themselves in somebody else's e-mail inboxes?)

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Ashwani3
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @dfmchfhf 

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

I comprehend it would be concerning for you when you receive emails like this and you are not sure what to do next. Please be advised, any time you receive an email or text about the activity on your PayPal account, the safest way to confirm the validity of the email is to log in to your PayPal account via the PayPal website and check if the email or text is related to what you are seeing on your account. If you feel the email is suspicious, please forward the email to phishing@paypal.com

I hope this helps. 

Thanks,
Ashwani

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.