is 163.com address a scam?

barbc49
Contributor
Contributor
  • Last week I placed an order and paid using PayPal, the order never returned to the order page to complete the transaction. The address on the resulting invoice ends in <removed>. Have emailed the seller several times, no response.  I am concerned that this is a scam.
Login to Me Too
191 REPLIES 191

Scammedby163
Contributor
Contributor
Bought something thru sponsored facebookfeed. 40€ for a carseat that's elsewhere 150€. Super deal no. Would take up to 10 weeks delivery, but two weeks later i got notification of succesful delivery. Happy as a kid, i went with paper to postoffice, they said it got delivered, yet only aliexpress package in mailbox. A carseat wouldnt fit. So how or what?! Seller doesnt reply. Site took down. Postoffice says contact seller. Paypal allows the scammers to continue this kind of business. I use paypal to avoid being scammed, this ends today.
Login to Me Too

Rightson1
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree, I'd like to know how they get UPS to show tracking status as delivered when they actually didn't. Get this the day I filed my claim/dispute with paypal I started getting phone calls, same number multiple times, I actually answered eventually and could not understand so I asked them to text me. Sent me a pic of a computer screen showing my number as contact for an online class. In the pic was a business card with a pic of a guy, phone number name and a name on the screen only one letter off from the seller of the item I ordered. <removed> you know. Probably just needed me to say a word or two to to record for their transaction with my money. Paypal erases everything people should know. Dropped my dispute so credit card co my get further. Doesn't sound too good in the community. $75, nit a lot unless you get lots of people. The item number they showed delivered was something for a computer so they are shopping with our money. Good luck,

Login to Me Too

DilloDean
Contributor
Contributor
Yep, it’s their business model. They “sell” you something, either don’t send any product at all or send the wrong product and then offer a ridiculous refund of a fraction of the original cost. I can’t believe PayPal allows them as a legitimate vendor. I tried to buy two camp chairs which were well below retail. About $90 total for both chairs. There’s my first red flag that I ignored. After three months I finally received two chairs. However they weren’t the ones I ordered. Furthermore the parts didn’t even fit so they were useless. I emailed them and they offered me a $2 refund. That’s their business model. I complained so they raised the refund to a laughable $6. I filed a complaint with PayPal and eventually got $45 back. I tend to migrate to online vendors who use PayPal thinking I’m being a little more secure. Obviously not. I complained to PayPal several times and asked why they do business with a company like this but they never replied. I’ve certainly lost some confidence and respect fo PayPl.
Login to Me Too

Eddie999
New Community Member

Similar experience.   I was worried about possibility of scam the moment I hit "submit order".   Appealed to website & payee email addresses, no answer.  Appealed to Paypal -- and at that moment, sender sent small package with USPS tracking number, so Paypal denied.  Of course, when package arrived, was not what I ordered.  Again sent emails to payee, and re-appealed to Paypal, submitting all my attempted to contact the payee.  Paypal respond promptly, and did refund my money.  Thank you, Paypal.   I think there are legitimate sellers with a 163.com email address, but seems the that there is also a booming scam operation.  Likely different emails and Paypal accounts each time.  My payee was <removed>

Login to Me Too

Temp20201229f
Contributor
Contributor
Correct! Same thing happened to me. Paypal was no help at all! Complicit!
Login to Me Too

Hi, I would like to round up people who haven’t been refunded the money from PayPal and file a class action lawsuit because they haven’t done anything about the email addresses ending in 163.com. It’s clearly a scam. I’m out 1,000 right now.
Login to Me Too

Corbyearl
I've been ripped off too and PayPal has denied me also I will be glad to join you in a lawsuit
Login to Me Too

WalmartFake1
Contributor
Contributor
They also denied my claim, BUT, I immediately filed another claim, with the reference that it is a Known scam address and the tracking number that was sent from seller stated the item arrived at an address in another State AND arrived 4 days earlier than I even placed an order!!!! I got an “Approval” within minutes and my money refunded within days!!! Be persistent!!!!
Login to Me Too

WalmartFake1
Contributor
Contributor
This Just happened to me!!! Was looking and looking for days for a tiny wood burning stove that was for my son’s temporary tiny home. Well, what do ya know, 72% off popped up and could get it as soon as next week. Wow!!! Only 14 left and 500 people watching now. Snatched it up paying with PayPal. They Made it look like it was from Walmart Retail. I decided to look up WR, hmmmm. Looks a little fakish. Received an email confirming my order, stated as Thank you Last Name First Name (hmmm?) and NO sales tax and NO shipping fee (hmmmm, is no sales tax even legal? And very generous of them to give me free shipping on a VERY heavy item that was over 70% Off and made in the US but paid to a 3rd party Chinese account. So, now I have to wait who knows how long in order to file a claim, after I don’t receive!!! If it’s a known scam, Why would we have to wait!?
Login to Me Too

tiffmpierre
Contributor
Contributor
So should we assume that PayPal is enabling this scam?? I had the exact same problem and it's really making me think twice about PayPal. If more than one person is having this problem, they need to own it and research this and remove them from using PayPal's platform.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.