Unsure if I'm being scammed

NateD832
Contributor
Contributor
So I've had someone want to purchase an item from me for $620 and they wanted to use PayPal. Paypal sent me a spam email saying the money went through then a follow up email saying the person needs to send an additional $200 to upgrade my account into a business account, this $200 however needs to be paid from me to this other person's paypal account, so I need to pay HIM $200 to recieve an amount of $820. I'm not sure if I'm being scammed or if the 820 is actually there waitinf
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NateD832 

You never pay any upfront fee as a seller.

Ignore scammers that send fake Paypal emails telling you that you need to pay an upfront fee to verify/upgrade/or any other reason to 'accept' a payment.

You would certainly never have to send funds via another payment processor/bitcoins/ or tokens/vouchers of any sort.

Any fee is auto deducted by Paypal at the same instant the remainder of the payment is credited to your Paypal account balance.

No funds in your balance = you have not yet been paid, even pending/held payments will still show in your Paypal account activity.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

NateD832
Contributor
Contributor
Those were my thoughts exactly, thank you for reaffirming me in my decision to not send any funds to the scammer. Have a nice day😊
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.