Permanent Lmitation

hammywillsalot
Contributor
Contributor

On 1/31/2023 I received an email from the BBB that the complaint I filed against Paypal had been forwarded to Paypal for resolution. On 2/2/2023 (two business days later) I received an email and notification that my account is now "Permanently Limited." I have inquired as to the reasoning, and was informed I had "violated the acceptable use policy" and that "Some of your products and services are in violation of Paypal's Acceptable Use Policy." However, I do not have a business account, and I do not offer any products or services. When I inquired numerous times, I was given the exact same reply each time that I had violated the AUP and Paypal is refusing to articulate any specific violation at all.

I have had my account for 11 years now, it is a personal account, and I have not used it in any way differently than I have for the last 11 years. Barring an articulated instance of a Violation, I can only assume this is retaliation for filing a claim with the BBB. I have messaged in the Help Center, I have emailed, and I have called Customer Service. Not a single person has been able to tell me what my violation was, and every time they do respond, it is apparent that they are insinuating that I was conducitng business in a a manner inconsistent with the AUP. Though I do not operate a business, or offer goods and services. I am a regular employee at a regular job and only use Paypal for traditional banking type activities.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and how was it resolved?Screenshot from 2023-02-03 Paypal.pngProducts or Services Paypal.png

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_JonK

Hello @hammywillsalot

Welcome to the PayPal Community. I can certainly understand how concerning it must be when your account is permanently limited. I can confirm that while PayPal does limit accounts to either confirm or gather details on an account owner or the activity on an account, a permanent limitation is normally only placed when there has been some kind of violation of our Acceptable Use Policy. The timing of the limitation is unfortunate, but PayPal does not limit accounts for filing a case with the BBB, AG, or other entities. There are a few prohibited activities related to selling certain goods and services, but there are other ways in which PayPal can be used which are prohibited as well. For security reasons, the exact reasons for a permanent limitation are not usually shared. 

My apologies for any inconvenience this has caused, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

hammywillsalot
Contributor
Contributor

No, this is untrue. I was given a transaction from a year and a half ago that Paypal alleges violated the AUP. Not sharing the reason while withholding my money is in fact retaliation. If Paypal does now wish to disclose it to me, they can disclose it to the California Dept of Financial Protection then, as I have filed a complaint with them now.

It is interesting as well that the day after I file a DFPI complaint, my Venmo account is permanently limited as well, Venmo being owned by Paypal.

This would be a simple solution if either A. Paypal could restore my account, or B. They can articulate a specific violation. However, the fact that my accounts get banned literally within a day of filing complaints paints a picture I am sure a Civil Jury would love. Filing a Complaint with the DFPI is protected by law. Given the circumstances it will be difficult for Paypal to defend its position.

It would be much simpler if they just articulated the specific violation. Refusal to do so, while banning accounts right after complaints are filed is VERY telling.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.